If I didn't laugh, I'd cry.

Friday, March 19, 2010 10 Comments A+ a-

Its 1:40am and I'm cuddled between two sick children watching Kung Fu Panda.

Once we all sleep in until 10:00 or so, I'm attacking my home like it has never been attacked. My weapons of choice will be anything antibacterial, lots of hot water, lots of soap, and spraying anything that doesn't move with Lysol.

I am not joking.

This has been one of the hardest winters we've ever had when it comes to sickness. It seems we've been sick non-stop since October when we all came down with the swine flu. Since then we have battled colds, the flu (every strain you can think of), bronchitis, pneumonia, strep throat, ear infections, and the worst intestinal bugs you can imagine.

We'd just finished a recovering from another flu not two weeks ago when I woke up on Wednesday morning vomiting and unable to leave the bathroom. My sister, Alli, was gracious enough to take the kids for me while I recouped in a quiet home. I started feeling better that night, and as Thursday passed, I'd wondered if we'd dodged a bullet with the kids.

I should've knocked on wood.

Hudson woke a little after 10:30, right before I headed to bed. Thinking nothing of it, I tucked him into bed with me as Jon got ready for work. (He's working the midnight to noon shift right now.) We instantly fell asleep.

I'm not sure what woke me, or how I managed to be so aware, but somehow I was able to turn Hudson's head just in time as he yakked all over our bed. As I rubbed his back and murmured soothing words, I couldn't help but wonder at how Jon always manages to be working when there's throw-up to be cleaned. Hmmmm?

I dumped Hudson into a bath a few minutes after midnight and set to work stripping our bed. I wandered into Hudson's room to get a diaper and that's when I noticed that Hudson had already thrown up once before, all over his bed. I sighed. And set to work stripping his bed too.

That's when I heard footsteps running for the bathroom. I got there just in time to hold Devyn's hair back as she emptied the contents of her stomach. At least she made it into the toilet.

And so here we lay. In a makeshift bed on the living room floor, watching Kung Fu Panda, a green bowl at Hudson's side and a pink bowl at Devyn's, a load in the washing machine, and at least two more loads waiting their turn. I keep checking on Reagan to make sure that she's doing ok. And yet I still have time to send Jon text messages with a play-by-play. You know, just in case he's sad to be missing all the fun.

And tomorrow I start my plan of attack.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
poison_ivy777
AUTHOR
8:28 AM delete

Us mothers feel your pain and my heart goes out to you. Seems like Satan is on full attack with your health - fill that spiral up with healing promises! I will be praying for you and your family. Depend on God for strength and remember it only lasts a little while!
Ivy

Reply
avatar
Jody
AUTHOR
10:25 AM delete

Sorry to hear that your sick kiddos. That is definitely not any fun. I hope that everyone gets healthy soon and stay healthy!

Reply
avatar
11:40 AM delete

So sorry Jenn! We're praying they feel better soon!

Reply
avatar
Barbie Murphy
AUTHOR
12:22 PM delete

Oh my! What a night! Are they all sleeping now? Hope it's a quick clean-out and you will ALL be on the mend!

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
4:29 PM delete

Is there any way to set a lysol bomb off in the house. You know, like a bug bomb...
We should look into that.

Reply
avatar
jenn
AUTHOR
7:01 PM delete

oh...i hope you guys feel better soon.
thanks again for my design :o)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:15 PM delete

So sorry Jenn. At least spring is right around the corner.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
11:53 AM delete

Oh love~you need a good, long, relaxing vacations in the warm sunshine and sand!!

Praying!!!!

Reply
avatar
5:26 PM delete

I left you a Beautiful Blog Award
http://www.keepingupwithkelly.com/2010/03/beautiful-blog-award.html

Reply
avatar
Neely
AUTHOR
8:37 AM delete

Feel better everyone!!!

Reply
avatar