Hudson, Soccer Superstar

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6 Comments A+ a-


Our son is a sports-fiend. Have I mentioned that he now asks for ESPN, or sports-themed movies? Sports shows and sports movies that are way above his head (For The Love of The Game, or Rudy anyone? I kid you not!) but is insistent on any, and all, things sports.

We have desperately been searching for any sport rec league that is open to someone as young as he is but was having no luck! Poor kid, I think he might have a mental breakdown when he finds out he can't play baseball until he is much, much older.

So imagine my surprise and delight when I found a Starter Soccer program for 3, 4, and 5-year-olds in our local, one-stoplight town. We hurriedly signed him up and tonight was his first night. Now unfortunately no games will be played at this level, but the coach works with the parents and kids as they start learning the basics of soccer. (Poor Jon; I don't think he realized how much work he'd have to do too.) So for the next six weeks, we'll be hanging out at the local park for one hour a week while Daddy and Hudson get their soccer on.

By the way, he did great! He even wanted to take some time to play goalie, though that wasn't on the agenda or anywhere near the skill set for these young players. All was well until he saw the baseball diamond and decided he wanted to switch sports.

Sigh.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
9:48 PM delete

That's great! He looks like he loving every minute of it!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:24 PM delete

Ha ha! I love him. and that story about wanting to switch sports. and the pictures. Love it all!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
6:52 AM delete

Sounds like my boy!

Reply
avatar
Kendra
AUTHOR
7:02 AM delete

He is adorable! That is awesome to see how much passion and zest he has at such a young age. How fortunate that there was a program in your town!

Reply
avatar
sean
AUTHOR
7:29 AM delete

This is my favorite post so far! Given, I can't relate to motherly, marital posts, but I can relate to soccer! :) I'll just pretend he's somehow related to me since he does somewhat follow my footsteps in things - no, don't get too scared by that!

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
10:18 AM delete

Awesome! Love his little track suit! Timmy & Tim LOVE to play sports together, too. It is such a blessing to watch!

enjoy this mama! It's going by so fast!

Reply
avatar