Yes, I'm the one with the egg.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 4 Comments A+ a-

I have egg all over my face.

It hit me between the eyes, is running down my nose, over my mouth, and dripping off my chin.

I have officially learned my lesson about planning birthday parties during a 16-hour road trip. And waiting until the last minute. And sending out emails without the correct information.

February has been a crazy month. My mom disappeared to Arizona for over two weeks to make medical decisions for my uncle during his last days, and I couldn’t plan Hudson’s birthday party when I didn’t know when she’d be back. Then Ed died, and I also wanted to give our friends time to mourn his passing without feeling obligated to come to a birthday party. Then the weekend we were going to have his party turned out to be the weekend of Uncle Scott’s funeral and the need for our road trip.

So Sunday morning, I sat in the van feeling like a complete failure as a mother for letting two weeks go past his birthday without making a single plan for his party. I whipped out the blackberry, made some calls, and hastily sent out a text message invite.

Classy. I know.

The problem was there are three, THREE, bounce houses in our area. Bounce, Jump In, and Pump It Up. I called Bounce (thinking it was the Pump It Up location), made the party reservation, sent out the text with the correct address, but wrong city.

Then last night, Christine called me and asked for clarification because they couldn’t find the address in the city I’d provided. I assured her I was right and would verify the information before calling her back.

I called her back with a sheepish tone to my voice and said the opposite, that she was right, it was in the other city.

This morning I sent out an email to correct my mistake and directed people to "Bounce" in the correct city, but the wrong location. Two people immediately contacted me, wondering if I was referring to Jump In and/or the wrong address.

At this point I was hiding my face in my arms on the desk and wishing that I had better control of this situation.

I called the number I’d called on Sunday, clarified that I had all the correct information, and was embarrassed to admit that I hadn’t even known this third place existed. And yet somehow, I’d planned his whole party there while thinking it was at one of the other two places.

There’s been another email. I think its correct this time. But who knows with my lack of organizational skills. I think this response to my last email sums it up pretty clearly.

To: Jenn
From: (Uncle) Caleb
Subject: RE: Hudson's Birthday Party *Correction*
Message:
If there are any mistakes in this email, we're not going to come...

Touche.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Mindy
AUTHOR
12:57 PM delete

Grace dear Jenn! You are a wonderful mother and Hudson will have such a great time, no matter how many invitations you had to send out! You have been through a lot the last few weeks and everyone understands.

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
3:42 PM delete

It's fine.
And don't feel bad. I do this kind of thing all the time.

(I'm not sure how that's supposed to make you feel better, actually)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:39 PM delete

You make me laugh.
It's fine, I'm sure everyone will be there. :)

Reply
avatar
Timmarie
AUTHOR
11:11 PM delete

Hudson won't even know the difference. There will be other things to feel bad over - this isn't one of them!

Reply
avatar