They Say Its Your Birthday

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5 Comments A+ a-

We've been surrounded by death these past couple of weeks. First our childhood pastor, Ed, and then my uncle, Scott, died last Thursday after a two-month fight with cancer. We're headed to Arizona this weekend for the funeral. And by we, I mean my parents have rented a 12-passenger van for them, Christine and Elliana, Allison, Courtney, and our family of five.

Its a 14-hour drive both ways.

Let the good times roll.

But as we're dealing with the sad news of two losses, we're still in the midst of celebrating life too. Specifically the life of one three-year-old boy who makes me laugh every single day.

That's right, Hudson turned three yesterday. Three. It boggles my mind. Three years ago I pleaded for him to stay inside... just through Valentine's Day... despite the fact that he was already three days late. I was adamant about not having a Valentine's Day baby. Yet the very next day, I was ready for him...to...come...out!

I begged the doctor to put me on the calendar for an induction, as I was NOT going 10 days past my due date like I did with Devyn. And as soon as I was put on the schedule at the hospital for two days later, wouldn't you know he decided to come on his own? Like Dareth said, it was the beginning of Hudson doing everything the unconventional way.

Hudson. There's just no simple way to describe my little man. He is a complicated guy for one so young. And strong-willed to boot.

For instance.

He must be given choices. Even if you know what it is he wants, he will not be satisfied until he has made the decision.

Case in Point #1: Every single morning, we troop into the kitchen for breakfast where he is given three choices of cereal. Never mind that he's chosen the same one for the past two months, he must still ponder over this decision and I'm forced to murmur, "Great choice" when he finally chooses. But if I had dared to assume that he'd want cereal #2, all heck breaks loose until I can convince him that he wants cereal #2.

Case in Point #2: After I have poured said cereal into a bowl, I then turn to our eating utensil drawer. I once again withdraw three spoons, of the exact same design, and present them to Hudson. Again he ponders his choices (as if there any difference between the three exact same spoons) and finally selects his chosen utensil.

Case in Point #3: And at some point during the day comes our struggle with what to drink and in what cup. He has to choose between two of the exact same red cup. Then the carousel begins as I suggest water, milk, or juice. A decision is made and then changed several times more before he finally settles on the thing he asked for to start with.

Oh, I jest. (Kind of.) But I can't help but wonder how boring our lives would be without his presence, and particularities.

Let's see, at three years old:

  • He is weighing between 24 and 25 pounds (yes, very tiny!) And is 2 feet, 10 inches tall.
  • He is obsessed with cars and GI Joe's.
  • He absolutely refuses to wear big boy underwear of any kind. (Boxers or briefs, doesn't matter. He flips out.)
  • He is saying so many words, and full-on sentences. I'm absolutely enthralled with his imaginative play.
  • He is intent on helping Daddy and Papa Dave finish the basement, even yanking out his pretend measuring tape.
  • He adores carbs of any kind (breads, pastas) and is not a fan of protein.
  • He adores his big sister, wanting to do everything she does, then turns around and bosses her to do it like he wants.
  • He loves his green hat.
  • He tolerates Reagan, but if she gets too close to his cars, watch out! (Its ok, she's holding her own.)
  • He is terrified of the monsters that live behind his changing table and in his closet.
  • He is loving.
  • And silly.
  • And a heart-breaker. (Mine.)
  • And a protector.

Happy Birthday, Little Man. I love you, all the way to the moon and back.


I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Christina
AUTHOR
8:11 AM delete

I cannot wait to see him! 11 months between visits is way too long.
Great-Aunt (sheesh, gets me every time) Christina

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
8:18 AM delete

I LOVE this post. How adorable. Happy Birthday Hudson!

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
10:09 AM delete

Happy Happy Birthday Hudson.
I can't believe you are three!

No wonder he and his cousin have some scuffles. Similar scenarios play out at our house each day :)

Love you all!

Reply
avatar
Timmarie
AUTHOR
8:11 AM delete

Happy 3! I hope to catch a quick hello this weekend, but if not watch out...D and I may need to make a visit.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:22 PM delete

Happy Birthday Hudson!! We all love you!
It amazes me how much he and Elliana are alike. She has to pick out her outfit every day now.
She also doesn't care for meat but loves carbs. I think they're siblings at heart.

Reply
avatar