Because I'm Weird Like That

Thursday, February 04, 2010 14 Comments A+ a-

I blame Jessica and Elissa.

It’s their fault that I got sucked into Pioneer Woman’s love story, ‘Black Heels to Tractor Wheels’. I was a very distracted wife and mama last night as I spent two hours absorbed in the tale of Pioneer Woman and her Marlboro Man. And at the end of it, I sighed (I appreciate a good love story) and suddenly had a voracious desire to traipse off to the prairie and settle my family on a ranch.

I have been blogging for four and a half years now, of course I’d heard of the big bloggers, Big Mama, Boo Mama, and, yes, even Confessions of a Pioneer Woman. These were the big ones before Bring The Rain, MckMama, Kelly’s Korner, and The LPM Blog were around.

However, I refused to read them. It wasn’t out of spite, trust me on that, but because I have a weird aversion to do anything because it’s the popular thing to do. Trust me, I know it’s bizarre, I know that makes me crazy, but it’s out there. I’ve confessed it.

In my years of blogging I have seen so many themes come and go. There’s the Menu Monday, Wordless Wednesday, Five-Ingredient Friday, and the list goes on and on. I rarely participated in any of them.

The Harry Potter books? Nope, haven’t read them, simply out of the principal of not giving in to peer pressure. And I’m an avid reader too!

The Twilight series? Ok, honestly, I had no plans to read them. I could care less about vampires and werewolves, plus, you guessed it, my aversion to all things popular. But then I caught some scenes from the movie and my sisters convinced me to try it. Confession: loved them!

Let’s see, what else?

Actually, I can’t think of anything else off the top of my head. This principle that rules my life is very haphazard and really has no rules. It’s a decision I make as I go, and truth be told, they aren’t even conscious decisions. They’re made on a whim and have no guidelines what-so-ever; add another check in the “weird” column.

So where am I going with this? I just can’t believe I’ve been missing out on the amazing blog that is Confessions of a Pioneer Woman. Seriously.

When her cookbook came out and she did her tour across the United States, blog after blog after blog discussed the stalker-ish type behavior as they converged on bookstores to meet her in person. I didn’t get what all the fuss was about. When Big Mama and Boo Mama talk about her delicious, to-die-for recipes, again, I wondered. Its just food people, for crying out loud.

But when I saw two friends discussing her blog and love story on Facebook, I had to see what all the fuss was about. Now I know.

I haven’t even tried any of her recipes yet (they do look simply scrumptious) and I can’t imagine how my new-found stalker-ish love will flourish after I do. I’ll keep you posted.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

14 comments

Write comments
Timmarie
AUTHOR
1:47 PM delete

Umm, her recipes...are a MUST.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
1:59 PM delete

Who's the Pioneer Woman? I guess I'm out of the loop too.....

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
3:44 PM delete

just goes to show you that being "too good for anything popular" has sad consequences...you might miss out! I LOVE her recipes, we really love her white chicken enchiladas, but there are SO many good ones. And her photography! You know that sucked me right in. But then there's her honest, funny, and candid way of sharing about every day life and motherhood and wifehood, I like her better than a lot of the over-romatanticized, I'm perfect blogs I've read. Glad you got sucked in!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
3:47 PM delete

I guess I'll be checking that blog out very soon. :)

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
4:52 PM delete

I'm glad to be one of your influencers!
I've tried a lot of her recipes, and almost all have turned out great. I like them because they are pretty simple and don't use "weird" ingredients.
I gave the cookbook to my mom for her birthday in October, and she gave copies to three different people for Christmas!
The rest of the blog is fun, too. :)

Reply
avatar
Tamara
AUTHOR
4:57 PM delete

You can borrow my SIGNED book. ;)

Reply
avatar
5:02 PM delete

Sarah, I hope I didn't come across as though I felt I was "too good" to read her blog. Because truly, it was never that. Its just a very weird quirk I have.

I am absolutely going to have to try her recipes now. And Tamara, I wouldn't dream of "borrowing" your book. I imagine its in a sacred place in your home right now. =) (And you can bet your bottom dollar I would have swooned over that book myself.)

Reply
avatar
9:11 PM delete

You HAVE to try her Cinnamon roll recipe!!

Reply
avatar
Kendra
AUTHOR
10:25 PM delete

I'm out of the loop as far as the pioneer woman goes, but I had to comment because I felt the same way about the Harry Potter series until someone bought me one to read for a train ride...It was pretty much be bored or read and then I was disappointed that I hadn't gotten on the bandwagon earlier. They really are good. I think I have that same quirk--which happens to be one of the reasons that I took German when I was in middle school rather than the more popular languages...and look where that got me! :)

Reply
avatar
Jenna
AUTHOR
8:52 AM delete

I totally got hooked on her too afte I read her love story! I was addicted! I couldn't move away from my computer!!

Reply
avatar
MamaBear
AUTHOR
12:27 PM delete

I don't read of of those first blogs you mentioned either. I used to read PW but my slow internet connection made it frustrating to wait for all the pictures. I did read her love story all in one night (up to the point where she got engaged, but then I haven't gone back to finish it now that she's written more. I will some day...It was fantastic!

I've heard nothing but great things about her cookbook - and especially how wonderful she is in person.

As for Harry Potter and Twilight - I'm blissfully ignorant on both and plan to stay that way.

(thanks for your prayers for Sam by the way - he's doing much better today - he ate a meal for the first time in three days Wahoo!!)

Reply
avatar
Michelle
AUTHOR
2:19 PM delete

This blog cracked me up! I too have become addicted to her blog because of my mother, and somehow everytime she has a kitchen aid contest i tell myself there is a possibility of winning amoung the 1000s that enter! yeah right... but a girl can hope right?!?! Her photo blogs are awesome too...glad you've joined the following Jenn :)

Reply
avatar
Lisa
AUTHOR
6:12 PM delete

Love your site....some comments on a blog recommending you led me here.

New Follower (and hopefully a customer:)

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
3:14 PM delete

I feel the same way on many things that are popular.

I love the Pioneer Woman Cooks. I've tried lots of her recipes!

Reply
avatar