And The Angels Rejoiced

Monday, February 01, 2010 11 Comments A+ a-

It was on my way back from the doctor's office, my pregnancy confirmed, that I broke into tears. I was awe struck that God had entrusted this little, tiny life to Jon and I; that somehow we were competent enough to direct her to Him. The significance of the responsibility rested on my shoulders. She wasn't even bigger than an apple seed at that point.

I have been praying for this day for six years; praying for the guidance and wisdom in answering her questions; praying that I would be an example for her; praying for the day that Devyn would make her own, personal decision to follow Jesus Christ.

We have talked on numerous occasions over the years regarding sin, our need for a savior, and Jesus Christ being that savior. I didn't want to rush her or push her; this had to be her decision. I considered it my job to lay the groundwork, to plant the seeds, to answer her questions as clearly and simply as I could. She'd listen and ask a couple of questions, but I never got the impression that she was ready.

These past few weeks I sensed something at work in our oldest child, she was coming to me with questions. If she woke during my early morning bible studies, she quickly grabbed the pink Precious Moments Bible that I'd passed on to her and would "read" alongside me. I just had a feeling that she was finally getting it. A few days ago, I even mentioned to Jon that I thought it was going to be soon.

That day came today.

I was distracted as I toweled all three kids dry from their bath and asked Devyn to help with something, I believe it was getting a diaper for Reagan. She handed it to me and proudly said, "I'm trying to obey you, Mommy." I murmured my appreciation and she continued, "Because I trust God." And something in her tone caused me to look up at her. I felt my heart beat faster, as I knew the significance of this moment.

"Really?" I asked. "Did you become a Christian, Paige?" She nodded her head yes and I posed another question. "When?"

"Right now." And I knew the time had come, it was here, it was now. I pulled her down until she was kneeling next me, face-to-face. "Do you want to become a Christian now, Devyn?" I asked her. And she nodded her head.

I never knew what it was like to feel your heart burst with joy as it did in that moment. Tears stung my eyes as we went over everything again, trusting and hoping that she finally got it. I asked her once more if she was sure, and at that last nod, we prayed together and my heart soared.

I get that she's still so young and there are times ahead that will test her faith. I understand that at some point in the future she will have to decide to make this faith her own. But I cannot even begin to describe the feelings of offering your child a path and having them take that first step on their own.

"We are so very proud of you, Devyn Paige! We rejoice with the angels in heaven today as your name was written in the book of Life. May this first step in faith lead you down a path full of adventure as you follow Him and all He has to offer you in this lifetime. We love you, baby girl! Mommy and Daddy"

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
Mary
AUTHOR
5:36 AM delete

Yay!!!! Wooooooo-hoooooo!!!!!! Yipppeeeeee!!!!!! Praise God!!!!!!

I'm so stoked and she's not even my daughter! I can't wait to lead Zoe to Christ (I hope I get to) like I did Haley !!!!!!

It's an awesome, humbling, exciting feeling. . . . .


Yay!
xxxx. M.

Reply
avatar
Tamara
AUTHOR
7:21 AM delete

My heart is exploding for you all! Praise God!

Reply
avatar
LDraper
AUTHOR
8:08 AM delete

Tears rolling down my face. Praise God! Praise God!!

Reply
avatar
8:27 AM delete

Wow! Praise God! What an awesome and special time! My heart is full of joy for your family!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
9:17 AM delete

There's just nothing better! So happy for you guys, and you're right, the journey is just beginning:).

Reply
avatar
Timmarie
AUTHOR
9:45 AM delete

I am celebrating with you! Yay, Devyn!!!

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
2:00 PM delete

tears of joy from this girl - at work too! that's awesome Jenn, and your poignant writing made it such a sweet moment I was blessed to share with you both. love you!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
2:42 PM delete

Tears of joy and praising God in Tennessee!!!

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
2:59 PM delete

So wonderful! What a beautiful thing!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:09 PM delete

Yep, definitely tears here too.
I love her and am rejoicing with you too. Praise God!!
P.S. I love the new design.

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
1:18 PM delete

Wonderful! What joy to lead your little one to the Lord. Way to go Mommy!

Reply
avatar