Ryan and Kristin

Saturday, January 02, 2010 2 Comments A+ a-

This is Ty. As you can see from the picture on the left, even at two years old he’s getting fresh with my daughter. In the picture on the right, are these two beautiful kiddos three years later. And on this night, during a dinner together with our wonderful, dear friends, Ryan and Kristin, Ty kissed Devyn on the mouth. Twice. The funniest thing about this whole escapade was Devyn’s reaction as she was telling Jon and I about their little “romantic” moment. She giggled the whole time. It was a brief glimpse into what the teen years will be like. Jon looked pained. Truth be told, if their mothers had any say in it, Ty and Devyn would already be betrothed.

Ahhh, Ryan and Kristin. Where to begin?

We met about eight years ago; they married approximately six months before us and we were going to the same church. There was another young newlywed couple (Hi Peter and Rebecca!) and we all decided that we needed a young couples group. It was wonderful to have these other couples go through the fiery trials of young married life together, it was an instant connection!

We went through a ton of tough stuff together. In a short amount of time. We went through church stuff, in-law stuff, marital stuff, family stuff, gossip stuff. You know, just stuff. The tough stuff. The stuff that’ll either pull you apart as friends, or bind you even closer together. We laughed together, we cried together, we got angry together, we got sad together, we got silly together. Very, very silly.

And then, they moved. To Florida, of all places. It was the end of an era.

Or was it?

Surprisingly, our friendship is just as strong now, as it was back then. Despite the fact that we live thousands of miles apart from each other, Kristin and I can still pick up the phone for a laugh, a heart-wrenching, gut-moving conversation, or just a quick hello. She is the friend in my life who will call things exactly as she sees them. She’s not afraid to hurt my feelings or tell me when I’m wrong. If I ever called her and told I was either about to make a horrible decision or if I just needed her, I have no doubt she’d be on the first plane out.

The funny thing is, we only had mere months together before they moved away. And yet, my relationship with Kristin is stronger than some that still live in the same town as I.

They’re here visiting his parents and we’ve already had two wonderful nights hanging out together! Last night included a wonderful, much-needed double-date. And oh, it was so good to be out with real and authentic friends. I need more of that in my life; real and authentic relationships. But that’s another post for another day.

Ryan and Kristin, thanks for the wonderful night out!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Kendra
AUTHOR
8:12 AM delete

What a blessing...and how rare to find a couple that you both click with so well! I share in your struggle of finding real and authentic friends...It can be so hard to break through the superficial level even when both people are trying to!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
8:45 AM delete

such a sweet story of friendship:). I count you as one of those real, authentic friends in my life, THANK YOU! But I think you already knew that. Can't wait til our next quad date at the end of the month, we so much enjoyed that!

Reply
avatar