The Itsy-Bitsy Spider

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6 Comments A+ a-

Bedtime.

When that clock hits 8:00pm, bedtime usually goes one of two ways.

It can be a great way to wrap up the day, stories read, prayers said, water given, and a kiss good-night. Easy-peasy.

Then other nights, crying starts at the first mention of bedtime, which then turns into tantrums, which then turns into discipline. Those nights usually end with no stories read and tears still wet on their cheeks. Those are the nights that Jon and I often shake our head and wonder why we thought we were up to the task of parenting.

Then other nights, rare nights, bedtime gives me a glimpse into the beauty that are my children. Tonight was such a night.

Hudson selected two books, easy reading with big pictures, and Devyn selected her one book, with lots more words. As we read through Princess Aurora's adventure, I had Hudson and Reagan nestled on my lap and Devyn kneeling behind me, her chin resting on my shoulder. In that moment, my heart sighed. This life, mothering these three, has brought so much meaning and purpose to my life. My heart is full.

We finished with the books, I patted Hudson's bottom and sent him in the direction of his room. I laid Reagan in her crib, and I smiled as she snuggled in under the blankets. Her eyes were already half-closed by the time I finished tucking the blanket under her chin.

I turned to tuck Devyn in and I laid down beside her, when she promptly laid her head on my chest. "Can we pray for our whole family, Mama?" I nodded in agreement and started praying. About halfway through our prayer, I heard a third voice and didn't need to open my eyes to know that Hudson had snuck back in his big sister's room to finish praying with us. "God bless Mommy, Daddy, Devyn, Hudson, and Reagan..." We continued down through the line of grandparents, aunts, uncles, and Elliana. Hudson scampered back to his room after "Amen". And I smiled at his tiny, retreating backside.

I turned back to Devyn and she recklessly threw her arms around my neck. She's become so genuine and spontaneously affectionate lately. It makes this mama's heart proud. I smoothed down her hair, whispered "I love you" into her ear, and kissed her on the cheek. I braced for all the explanations about why she couldn't fall asleep, but there were none.

I closed her door behind me, and turned to go to Hudson's bedroom.

He placed his baseball cap on his bedpost and then allowed me to tuck the blankets around his body. I knelt next to him and listened as he excitedly told me about the imaginary ballgame that he played out this afternoon. Jibber-jabber to the average ear, but as his mama, I was able to catch snatches of words. Enough so that I understood he caught the ball, and Devyn caught it but dropped it. I was thoroughly entertained.

Then he wanted to play the Itsy-Bitsy Spider and we went five rounds. Again, my heart sighed. My mind fast-forwarded 12 years, to a gangly teenage boy that will inhabit that bed. Clothes carelessly tossed about, one leg thrown over covers, an arm hanging off the side of the bed, and the Itsy-Bitsy Spider will be a distant, but cherished, memory. How does a mama stop time, for even just a moment?

I finally called quits to our game, kissed his temple, and whispered good-night. And as I left his room, Hudson was whispering the Itsy-Bitsy Spider to himself. Complete with hand motions.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Jody
AUTHOR
8:01 AM delete

Very cute! Your kids sound so adorable!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:16 AM delete

This post brought tears to my eyes. What sweet little nieces and nephew I have.

Reply
avatar
Neely
AUTHOR
1:24 PM delete

That was so heartwarming...made me tear up. It also makes me so excited to have some little ones one day :)

Reply
avatar
Barbie Murphy
AUTHOR
7:22 PM delete

Ooooh!!! What a swett and tender evening you had with your "munchkins"!! I'm so glad you are cherishing those special moments with your children! Keep it up!
Bless you, Barbie

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:15 PM delete

I have tears in my eyes too. It's amzaing how much these kiddos add to our lives. Even more amazing is how fast time flies. Good for you for cherishing moments like this. I love them.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
11:32 PM delete

So sweet!

Reply
avatar