Directing My Efforts

Thursday, January 07, 2010 6 Comments A+ a-

January… the start of a new year… of fresh beginnings and new opportunities. Some take this time to make resolutions of new ambitions or another chance at following through with old objectives. Personally, I have never been able to carry a resolution through the end of January to save my life. So instead of having to admit defeat so early in the year, I’m now at a place where I never make the resolution in the first place.


However, with that said, I do have some goals for 2010. And while I realize that they’re virtually the one and the same thing, I just like the definition of goal better than resolution: the end toward which effort is directed. It just sounds less threatening to me, more achievable, a little more room for grace.

So with that in mind, here are the areas toward which my effort(s) are being directed this year.
  1. I follow the organization Compassion on Twitter and came across this little gold nugget on their blog. Ask God to show you what ONE word, a theme if you will, of what He has in store for you during 2010. I’ve been reflecting on that post for a couple of weeks now and I think I know the theme for 2010. Authenticity. I want to be purposeful and authentic in every aspect of my life and in every relationship. I want to move past the superficial into deeper, more meaningful relationships with my spouse, my children, my sisters, family, and most importantly friends. I want to know that I have been as real and authentic as possible, that I’ve not given the wrong impression for appearances sake.

  2. To passionately pursue my God. I can’t begin to tell you how many times God has been in pursuit of me, catching me during times of free-fall, offering grace and forgiveness when I least deserved it. But I can number the times on my hand that I have pursued Him. My quiet times grew few during those last couple of months in 2009, and boy did I feel the absence of His presence. I want it back and I want that all-consuming passion again. I want Him.


  3. As I’ve turned 30, I’ve become increasingly aware of the changes that have become of my body, be it through the birth of three children or a slowing metabolism or just poor nutritional and fitness practices. I want a healthier me. There will be no diet or strict fitness regimen, I just want to make some healthier choices in what goes in my body and more purpose in choosing to walk (or run) to the mailbox instead of drive. These goals seem perfectly attainable to a person who despises exercise as much as I do.

  4. I want some organization and structure in our household and feel I’m already one-up on this goal with the purging and storing of clothes that no longer fit all three kiddos. (Thanks for the help Mom and Alli!) But I’m looking into chore charts for the kids, a filing system for our important stuff, toys that have lost parts and pieces to the trash, a more structured approach to household stuff. Oh my! This is going to be a hard one for me.
So there you have it, my four goals for 2010. They’re big and ambitious but I feel they are perfectly achievable.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Mindy
AUTHOR
6:07 PM delete

Jenn,

Thanks for posting this! I really enjoyed reading about your goals for the new year. Thanks for your honesty about your desire for authenticity.

My one word: Joy

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
7:46 PM delete

Sounds like great goals Jenn. I think I share all of them. I'm thinking about one word for 2010 and I haven't found one yet. Great post.

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
10:03 PM delete

I love the thought of having a theme word of 2010. Something to think about!!

Reply
avatar
Kendra
AUTHOR
9:27 PM delete

Thanks for the link--I am definitely going to take some time and prayerfully consider my one word for 2010.

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
2:05 PM delete

I, too, am very adverse to the resolution. But the new year always does seem to bring with it a freshness that calls for some goals set in place.

I will be praying about my theme as well.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
12:51 PM delete

Great goals for 2010! I hope it is all you hope for and more!

Reply
avatar