They Keep Me Laughing

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 13 Comments A+ a-

“Mommy, I don’t want our last name anymore.” Devyn declared last week.

“Oh really?” I asked. “What would you like to be called?”

“I like McKenna’s last name better. I want to be Devyn Paige ______,” she told me. (And its not Smith or Jones or Peterson, starts with Tru and ends in ex.)

“Hmmm,” I replied, biting the inside of my lip to keep from laughing out loud. “Well, Paige, if you want to have McKenna’s last name, then you’ll have to go live with them.”

She looked at me, startled, “Why?”

“Well, love, everyone with the same last name lives together. All of the [insert our last name here] live in this house, and all of the [insert McKenna’s last name here] live at her house.”

I could see the wheels in her head spinning. “Ok, then, I guess I’ll keep [insert our last name here].”

I smiled. “Good. I’m glad. I would’ve missed you!” And with a giggle and a hug, she went off to play.

***************

I tousled Hudson’s curls as we prayed good-night. Oh goodness, his cheeks are so soft and kissable.

“… and God bless Reagan,” I whispered beside his ear.

“And Gracie,” he whispered back.

“And God bless Gracie,” I finished.

“And Baby Jesus,” he whispered again.

My heart melted into a big puddle on the floor and I smiled in the dark. “Yes, and God bless Baby Jesus. Amen.”

I tucked the blankets around his body and leaned over for a kiss. As I started to pull away, he called my name and held up a baby doll. “Baby Jesus too?” he asked. I kissed “Baby Jesus” too, before tucking him in next to Hudson.

I shut the door behind me when I heard a soft, “Mama.” I opened the door to peer at my son. He had both arms in a bicep curl and said,

“I’m strong!”

“Yes, Hudson, you are strong. Now good night!” And the door was shut one final time.

***************

“Mommy, I’m going to draw a picture of you and Daddy on a date,” Devyn announced.

“Sounds great! I can’t wait to see it.”

When she came back a few minutes later, she explained her drawing.

“This is you in this chair and this is Daddy in this chair. You’re eating dinner and watching a movie. You’re watching The Princess and The Frog and Daddy’s watching an X rated movie.”

(I swear if I’d had anything in my mouth at the time, it would’ve been spit out across the room.)

“What do you mean by X rated, Paige?” I asked, my mind racing, wondering how on earth I was going to steer this conversation back to the right direction.

“Well,” she explained, pointing to the X on the piece of paper. “This is where pirates find the treasure, under the X.”

“Oh,” I sighed, relieved as all get out. “A pirate movie!”

“That’s what I said!” She was thoroughly put out by now. “An X rated movie!”

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
11:08 PM delete

Cute post...and what a cute blog...Your pictures are great. There are new tree pictures up on the holiday blog...and I am loving looking through all the beautiful decorations on the Home Tour...Just need a few free hours...
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

Reply
avatar
Kelly
AUTHOR
11:11 PM delete

your kiddos are too cute

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
6:05 AM delete

hahahahahahahahah - X rated! That is hilarious! I can just see your face when she said it! (Too bad you didn't have food in your mouth, it would have made for an even funnier story!)

Have a great weekend!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:18 AM delete

Laughed my whole way through this one. Minus the story about Hudson cause that boy just melts my heart along with you.

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
8:34 AM delete

Ha! As least she didn't draw it at school! Too cute!

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
11:35 AM delete

I almost sprayed soda all over my computer on that last one. Kids are great.

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
12:41 PM delete

I am glad I didn't have anything in my mouth either. That is hilarious!
I love how there is always a logical explanation.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
4:57 PM delete

love those kiddos!
Alli

Reply
avatar
7:26 PM delete

I love these stories! They are so adorable!

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
8:04 PM delete

Wow...so funny!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:10 PM delete

I can't wait until Ellie starts talking. Kids say the most hilarious things. I love them!

Reply
avatar
9:49 PM delete

So funny! Your kids are too cute!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
1:51 PM delete

SO adorable! :)

Reply
avatar