I know what you're NOT getting for Christmas this year...

Thursday, December 03, 2009 5 Comments A+ a-

Devyn and I were chatting about some gift ideas for her Christmas list. This is the first year that Jon and I are giving a small amount to Devyn and Hudson to spend at the dollar store to buy gifts. Obviously it’s not about the quality of gifts, but that they start learning its better to give than receive, even at their young age.

In her sing-song voice, she rattled off a list to me as we sat together in front of the fireplace. Reagan and Hudson were both down for a nap after an incredibly rough morning; it was the first time all day that Devyn and I got to talk. I loved our chats like these, such a fun glimpse into who she really is.

“I’m going to get Hudson a play gun, so he can shoot bad guys. And I’m going to get Reagan a baby toy. And I’m going to get Elliana a toy she can chew on ‘cause her teeth hurt her…” Without pausing for a breath, she continued on. “I’m going to get Nana a doctor-thing, and maybe Papa something with a mail bag.”

Pause.

“But I’m not going to buy Daddy a real gun,” she informed me vehemently.

Surprised, I looked up. She knew Jon already had a few guns in his possession and I wondered where this newfound passion came from. “Why, honey?” I asked.

“Because," she said. “The Word of God says you shouldn’t kill people. It’s bad. And you can go to jail if you kill people. That would be bad. So I’m not buying Daddy a real gun for Christmas.”

There are so many different paths I could have further taken that conversation, but instead I said nothing. Because, well, it’s kind of hard to argue with logic like that.

Sorry, Babe, no real guns under the tree for you this year.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
2:24 PM delete

Thank you for posting these stories, you have no idea how much she makes me laugh when I read these.

Reply
avatar
5:33 PM delete

This is great!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:31 PM delete

Oh I love her so much! She is so funny and she has such a great heart.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
6:44 PM delete

love that girl! She cracks me up!
alli

Reply
avatar
Katelyn
AUTHOR
2:46 PM delete

Just found your blog! I love it! Your little girl is so funny! :)

Reply
avatar