Happy 1st Baby Girl!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 7 Comments A+ a-


My dearest Reagan,

Today you turn one and I’m awed at how fast time has flown. With each child, I feel l have a grasp on how to make time slow down… stopping to cherish each and every moment… And yet somehow, each time, the one year milestone creeps up on this mommy and I’m forced to swallow the lump in my throat as we say good-bye to your babyhood.

Reagan, I will never forget the day your daddy and I found out that you were on your way. Such a surprise, little one! And now, so many months after that morning, I’m shamed to admit I questioned His timing. I felt that we weren’t ready, that the timing couldn’t have been more wrong, that we were being inconvenienced in the worst way. Oh, how very, very wrong I was.

You have enriched our lives more than we could have possibly imagined. And His timing is always perfect. Always.

You, my child, have been determined to do everything your way, on your schedule. Your refuse to follow the steps that your siblings laid out for you; instead you are determined to find your own way. I thought I had this mommy-thing figured out until you came; you’ve taken every preconception I’ve had and blown it to shreds. I am sure that this past year is a small glimpse of the adventures you’re going to take our family on.

Reagan, my love, you are so very sweet and have such a laid-back spirit. You’re content to let Hudson tease you and wrestle you, up to a point. But when that point has been reached, you let go and let the whole house know you’ve had enough. There’s been more than one occasion when Hudson has looked at you in surprise, unaware such a big voice lived in such a small body. I’m just waiting for the first time you give him a taste of his own medicine. And I’m sure that time is not far around the corner.

You are small, in fact, the smallest of our children. You have just now moved into size 6-9 month clothes and I smile when strangers are surprised when I tell them your age.

And again, dear one, what you lack in size, you make up for in personality. No one believes us when we mention your big and comical personality, for in strange surroundings you prefer to sit quietly and contentedly in our laps. But when we are at home, where you are most comfortable, your personality lets loose and we are in stitches over your faces and antics. You don’t do the things you do by accident, you’re looking for a reaction and we’re so ready to give you what you want.

Reagan, 20 months ago when we saw those pink lines, we couldn’t imagine having another so soon after Hudson. And now… we can’t imagine our lives without you in it. You have brought so much fullness to our lives, I can hardly stand it.

You and your daddy share more than the same shade of blue eyes, you share such a special connection. It warms my heart to see the smiles spread across both your faces when the other walks into a room.

Devyn has adored being your big sister and she is so great in anticipating and meeting your needs, be it a drink, a toy, a pacifier, or play time. And your gratitude in return, which you give in spades, is all she desires.

Your relationship with Hudson, oh my, this is going to be the most volatile of all your relationships I fear. You two can be the best of buds, when he’s making you laugh so hard I wonder if your face will break. Or you can be the worst of enemies when he’s taken a toy you wanted, and vice versa. But you adore each other, of that I’m certain.

Reagan, I have so many desires and wishes for these years I have with you. And thankfully, we have time. But most importantly, you should know how very honored I am to be called your mother. You are one of my biggest, and best, reminders that God is always in control. Always.

Happy Birthday, my youngest little!

All my love,
Mama

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
10:35 PM delete

What a sweet sweet post!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
11:59 PM delete

Happy Birthday Reagan Rea!! We love you so much!

Reply
avatar
MamaBear
AUTHOR
6:27 AM delete

Happy birthday sweet girl. (Please disregard the "happy" at the end of my comment - I still haven't figured out how to move the curser on my droid).

I love reading letters from mothers to their children. They are so full of emotion and love. Recapping a month or a year can be hard to do but once the "ink" starts flowing the specialness of the mother/child bond always comes through loud and clear. Before I started blogging I wrote letters to my children in a journal every few months. I pulled them out the other day and realized it had been WAY too long since i'd written out a letter by hand. Once I finish my blog books I'll feel better, but until then, I cherish the hand written ones -ESPECIALLY the ones PapaBear has written.

Happy

Reply
avatar
Jenna
AUTHOR
8:18 AM delete

Happy Birthday, Reagan! I just found your blog through your sister Courtney's blot the other day! I love it. Hope you enjoy your little peanut today. She is precious!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
1:15 PM delete

You bring me to tears every single time!!! Beautiful. Happy Birthday to your little one!!!!

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
11:36 AM delete

Happy, happy Birthday, sweet Reagan.

I can't wait to get some playtime soon!

Reply
avatar
1:07 PM delete

awww so sweet

happy birthday little cutie






p.s love the new desgin

Reply
avatar