Go Away Mr. Grinch!

Thursday, December 10, 2009 11 Comments A+ a-

I think I found my Christmas spirit again... in all the small things around our house...
In the tree we just bought, new to us via a classifieds ad. We are die-hard "real" Christmas tree fans but with little ones and a puppy, it just made sense to go "artificial" for the next few years. We'll be out chopping down our trees again soon... but in the mean time, this works for us.
In having the stockings hung by the chimney with care. I finished Reagan's stocking tonight and couldn't be more thrilled with how it turned out. Many of you have asked where I bought these stocking kits and I've bought them in two places, Amazon and Hobby Lobby. Amazon is way cheaper, but if you find yourself not wanting to wait, then head over to Hobby Lobby, they have them in stock. The brand is Bucilla. This one is next for my avid fisherman.

In one of the Nativity scenes that sits in our house. This is one of the only ones that hasn't yet been broken or chipped by little hands.
In the centerpiece that sits on our dinner table right now. I'd love to say that it always looks like this but Hudson loves digging into it and throwing the silver bells around like they were baseballs. Sigh. Such is life in a house with a two-year-old boy.
In the Christmas wreaths that hang on our outside lights. There are no Christmas lights that adorn our house, we don't have lighted reindeer, nor 8-foot inflatable snowglobes. Simply four wreaths with red bows, one for each light.
Have I mentioned how much I love Christmas?! Not so much for the gifts and over-indulgence (although, I'll admit, I already ate the first batch of Grammie's Chex Mix), but in the warm, cozy, and giving spirit that seems to permeate the air. There is nothing that says Christmas to me like turning on the fireplace and the twinkling Christmas lights and curling up with Jon and the kids. See? I told you it came back...


I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
10:08 PM delete

No way! We are SO sisters! Can you believe that I was posting about our christmas decorations at the same time you were? Glad you have your Christmas spirit back.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
10:11 PM delete

I like the simple wreaths and bows around the lights. Classy Christmas.
Great job on the stockings Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
8:09 AM delete

I am so glad the Spriit is back! It is such a wonderful time of year. My favorite part is to see how excited by kids get over the birth of Christ! Beatuiful decorations!

Reply
avatar
The Real Me!
AUTHOR
8:02 PM delete

Everything looks so fun and festive. Great job!
Blessings,
Kim

Reply
avatar
Brittany
AUTHOR
10:10 PM delete

love the nativity scene! i need one...

Reply
avatar
9:32 AM delete

Your home is just beautiful! May many wonderful Christmas memories be made within its walls.

Our home is having an old fashioned handmade Christmas this year. I hope you will stop by.

Reply
avatar
Valerie
AUTHOR
1:51 PM delete

Those are such cute stockings - thanks for telling us where to get the kits.

And if I read that right - that is a fake tree? Looks fantastic, lush and real.

Reply
avatar
9:34 PM delete

Jenn -- the new blog looks amazing!!!!!! Don't tempt me to want to change mine -- hah!

Reply
avatar
9:54 PM delete

I so totally agree! Twinkly lights, the fireplace and Christmas music playing softly in the background. Make me very happy. ;o) Merry Christmas!

Reply
avatar
5:02 PM delete

May you have a warm, cozy Christmas!

Thanks for showing us around. Come by and visit me anytime. Merry Christmas!

Reply
avatar
11:12 AM delete

I love your stockings! Thanks for showing us around! I am stopping in from Nester's place. To see my tour click on the 'Christmas 2009' tag on the left sidebar of my blog.

Reply
avatar