Grammie's Scrabble Mix

Monday, November 30, 2009 0 Comments A+ a-

I’ve mentioned Grammie’s chex mix on this blog twice before; you can view them here and/or here. Seriously, every time I smell this baking, I’m instantaneously taken to Christmases past. This Scrabble-mix will last anywhere from 2-4 weeks in this house. I have had to make a second batch about halfway through the Christmas season. If you like salty things, then this is the Christmas snack for you!

6 cups of Wheat Chex
6 cups of Rice Chex
6 cups of Corn Chex
6 cups of Cheerioss
6 cups of pretzel sticks
2 ½ lbs of salted mixed nuts
1 lb of butter (yes, that’s 4 sticks of butter, I never said it was good for you)
1/3 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp of garlic salt
1 tbsp of onion salt
1 tbsp of celery salt
2 tsp of minced garlic
Dash of Tobasco sauce

In saucepan, melt butter. Once melted, add Worcestershire sauce, the salts, garlic, and Tobasco sauce. In large roasting pan, mix cereals, pretzels, and nuts.

Pour liquid mixture over dry mix and stir to coat the dry mix.

Bake at 250-degrees for two hours; the 1st hour covered and the 2nd hour uncovered. Stir every 20 minutes to distribute the sauce evenly…. six times total.

Let cool for 24 hours! Enjoy!


I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.