Warm, Cozy Tuesday Night

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3 Comments A+ a-

The Taste of Home Cooking Expo was not to be for this mama. Yesterday Hudson woke with a cold and I followed suit this morning. (It’s a conundrum, is what it is. He never got the H1N1 flu but caught a cold? Go figure.) I was still going to try and make it, but then Reagan started sounding congested and I decided that a night at home was just what the doctor ordered.

So here I sit. All three kiddos have been read to, prayed with and prayed over, and tucked into their beds. I have folded numerous loads of laundry and now I don’t feel the slightest bit guilty over spending some time on the internet for a little while.

It was a good night; one of those nights where you feel warm, cozy, and so very blessed. Jon is on snow patrol today, has been since noon and won’t get home until midnight tonight. This is my first “winter widow” night of the season and I’m preparing myself for many nights like this to come. When the rain started falling late afternoon and the sky grew dark, I turned on the fireplace and lit a few apple-cinnamon candles. Devyn and Hudson were playing together on the computer, the sounds of Disney channel emitting from the speakers, and Gracie lay at their feet chewing on a rawhide bone. Reagan kept me company upstairs while I prepared a simple meal of macaroni and cheese. Sometimes it’s the simple things that make us feel so very blessed.

That moment came when I glanced outside after dinner and saw the thick, white flakes floating to the ground. It was so dark outside, but the inside smelled of apple-cinnamon candles and the fireplace cast such a warm glow over our home. And in that moment, a whisper of thanks for the comforts of home floated from my lips. There is nothing I need other than the basic needs of my loved ones being met. We have a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, and laughter to enjoy. It was/is a good night.

In other news, we (as in the four sisters) are very excited to present something that we have been working hard on for a few weeks now! You may have noticed the button in the upper-right corner, a button that says, “What’s For Dinner”. Feel free to click on it. It will take you to a new blog that the four of us have collaborated on involving the sharing and exchanging of recipes. The idea started when Courtney requested some crock-pot recipes on her personal blog and she got a number of new recipes to try. We wondered if we could find a central place to keep our recipes and exchange new ones. Thus “What’s For Dinner” was born. We hope you’ll find it as useful as we do and we hope you’ll feel free to share some of your own recipes with us as well. We look forward to any, and all, feedback.

That’s it for me. I think I’m going to put The Proposal in the DVD player and watch a new crush (Ryan Reynolds – sigh) from the comfort of my bed. The perfect end to a perfectly good day. Aside from being sick and all…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
MamaBear
AUTHOR
10:30 PM delete

Um yeah. I'm right there with you on Ryan Reynolds. In fact I'm in bed watching The Proposal too (only the second time I got it from redbox)

Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Reply
avatar
8:45 AM delete

I envy your good attitude...you are a blessing to me Jenn

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
9:43 AM delete

I plan to frequent "What's for Dinner" LOTS... and have TOTALLY added Ryan Reynolds to my list recently! hellllllo!

Reply
avatar