An Update

Thursday, October 08, 2009 10 Comments A+ a-

Yesterday I took Reagan's temperature and it was 102.1. I don't know what it is but a temperature in my baby sends me a touch into the panicky zone. I took a deep breath and gave her some tylenol. 40 minutes later, she still felt toasty. The thermometer read 102. So much for calm. I made an appointment with our doctor and immediately dumped her into a luke-warm bath, anything to get her temp down.

It worked. Temporarily. On our way to the doctor's office, I had a fairly good idea of the diagnosis. Devyn and I had symptoms of H1N1 (the swine flu) all day Sunday and Monday but I didn't take us in. We seemed to be managing it at home, which is what everything was telling us to do. Then when Devyn's teacher called to let us know there was a confirmed case of H1N1 in her class. I was even more sure that's what we had.

Jon fell victim to it on Monday and in his usual stubborn ways, refused to admit it. Even though I could toast a marshmellow on his forehead, "it was just a cold". He was the worst of all of us.

Dr. Susie looked at Reagan, her ears, listened to her chest, and checked her oxygen levels. All clear with the breathing and chest. But then the official diagnosis. H1N1 flu and an ear infection in both ears. A prescription for Tamiflu and an antibiotic and we were finally on our way. Two drug stores later, and still no pediatric tamiflu in stock. (This city has been nearly wiped out of Tamiflu.) But the last one offered to compound the adult stuff for us. I smiled a tired and exhausted thanks.

Jon and Reagan's temps finally broke during the night. Could it be true? Were we finally on the mend?

Oops! Spoke too soon.

Devyn woke from her nap, crying and in pain. Her ear was hurting her and she's never had an ear infection in her life. A second trip to the doctor in two days, confirmation of her first ear infection. And a trip to our third pharmacy. They had the antibiotic but not the ear drops. *Sigh* What's a mama to do? Peruse the homiopathic section and cross her fingers it'll help Miss Paige.

Tomorrow we'll have been quarantined for almost a full week; not leaving the house except for doctor visits, medicine runs, or food. I won't lie, I'm going a little batty. And I'm also exhausted. I am praying for a complete and total recovery for all of us! Even if it means secluding ourselves for days longer. Whatever it takes!

There you have it, our past week in a nutshell. I hope you don't get this stuff because it is one nasty virus!!

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Mary
AUTHOR
7:33 PM delete

Oh Jenn! I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm praying for you all - speedy recovery, patience, lots of rest and lots of grace.

((hugs))

Reply
avatar
Shamree
AUTHOR
7:43 PM delete

Jenn Jenn Jenn...I'm so sorry you are in house arrest and have ear infections going around to top it off. I'm praying for you all to heal before you go insane!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
9:22 PM delete

So sorry sweetie...I just caught up...I hope you and the family feel better soon.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:14 PM delete

My strong, amazing sister! You've been on my mind constantly this week. I've been praying for all of you. I hope this is over soon and I'll get to see you all happy and healthy and OUT OF THE HOUSE! Love you!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
6:50 AM delete

Jenn, I am praying for all of you. For renewed strength and healing, for ear infections to be gone, for H1N1 to be gone, and for strength and peace for you, the momma keeping it all together for everyone. It's a hard job sometimes, isn't it?? May God give your home peace and calm in the midst if illness and may His presence be real to all of you. Wish I could help more.
I love you, Mom

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
7:09 AM delete

Jenn- I am thinking of you and your family. I hope you all kick this quickly! Sending you my best thoughts and prayers.
Kim

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:28 AM delete

Jenn you make me so sad! I'm sorry, I would love to be up there helping but it seems anyone that walks into your house catches that crap and I don't want it. I'm sorry but I do love you.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
12:36 PM delete

Oh no, I am so sorry that Devyn has an ear infection.
One thing that helps the pain from those is to get a papertowel and soak it in boiling hot water, then put that into a styrofoam cup (gas station?) and just hold the cup against her ear. It will provide comfort to both her and the baby.

Hugs.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
4:56 PM delete

Sorry you guys are so sick! Being quarantined is never fun with little, energetic children. Thinking of you!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
8:12 PM delete

Praying for healing from this nasty virus and for strength and patience until you get through it..so sorry you have been bit by this bug but hopefully you are on the upswing soon! Love to you..Kara

Reply
avatar