It's a Small, Small World

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4 Comments A+ a-

Yesterday was an oddity of sorts, but in order for you to understand it, I need to back up a few months ago…

Out of the blue, my husband got a call from our local Ace Hardware store. They wanted to make sure that we’d received the reimbursement on our credit card. We had no idea what they were talking about and the clerk insisted they had the right couple. “Jennifer [middle initial] [last name],” the clerk said. “This is you, correct?” Yes, that’s my middle initial and my last name but we haven’t been to Ace Hardware in months, let alone needed a reimbursement on our credit card. (Folks, I don’t have the most common name. Its not Smith or Jones or White, it’s a pretty specific last name.)

I drove down to the store to take a look at the credit receipt and sure enough, printed under the signature line was my first, middle initial, and last names. But definitely not my signature! At this point, I’m assuming some sort of identity theft has taken place and go to the internet to do some research. (Which by the way, it’s kind of scary how much information you can get online about someone. It’s downright creepy, in fact.) I soon learned that there was another woman who lived in my (very small) town with my exact name, not just the same middle initial. First, middle, and last names all matched. And to top it off, we were born in the same year, with her birthday just a few months before mine. Very weird…

And my poor family and friends had to listen to my ranting and raving about my concern of identity theft. But after my research, I was fairly certain that this was not a case of identity theft, just weird coincidences that put two women with the same name, in the same town.

Fast-forward to yesterday.

I went to MOPS at a local church in my small town with my sister, Christine, and I was so excited to catch up with some of the women who are becoming fast friends. We sat down to breakfast when Katie ran up to me and excitedly shared that a woman with my same name was there too!! At this point, I was just excited beyond words as I couldn’t believe I was going to finally meet her, the woman who shared my name. So Katie brought me over to her and I introduced myself.

Poor woman! I am fairly certain that she had no idea I existed, even though I knew plenty about her, and I’m sure I scared the bejeebies out of her. I tried explaining why I knew when her birthday was, about the research I’d conducted, my fears of identity theft, and though she smiled politely, I’m pretty sure I freaked her out. And I’m sure it didn’t help when another friend ran up to her afterwards and said, “So you’re the girl that stole Jenn’s identity!” It was said in a kidding manner, complete with a friendly smile, but I’m just not sure if the other Jennifer [middle initial] [last name] will be coming back. I sure hope so… it’s not everyday you get meet someone with your exact name.

Craziness!!

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Rebecca
AUTHOR
7:55 PM delete

I love it. You make me laugh. Isn't MOPS great. I just started a group out here and everyone is so friendly in it. It is so nice to met other moms in the area.

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
8:54 AM delete

I hope we didn't scare her too much! She did look a little taken back! That was the strangest thing! Glad you and Christine came and enjoyed. See you soon.

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
1:05 PM delete

A Dr in our pediatrician's building has the same name as your husband. I always take a second look...

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
8:11 PM delete

Jenn, I LOVE this story!!! =) Who would have ever believed it???!!! I think you are right--I think it scared the bajeebers out of her!! =) Just think if it had been the other way around, it would have freaked you out too!! What a small world!
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar