Flu 2009 Recap

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5 Comments A+ a-

I managed to keep the fear and panic at bay for all of the ten days we were quarantined in our house. This is the plight and strength of being a mother; the ability to do what needs to be done, taking it one step at a time, without pausing to allow fear to become a stumbling block in caring for her loved ones. Yet in that same vein, the fear demands to be given a voice once the crisis has passed.

My moment came this morning, in the car, on the way to work. It was the first time that I’ve been alone for over ten days, without needing to issue medicine, or cuddle sick, hurting bodies. It was the first time that I haven’t been needed to run steam showers, or scold yet-to-be-housebroken puppies. My first quiet in which I wasn’t being called by someone to soothe or meet any one of a number of different needs. It was the first time I’ve been alone with my thoughts and I allowed myself to fully realize how scared I’d been during those 10 days. I could feel the emotions closing in, and I had to pull over to the side of the road, giving myself permission to vent all the exhaustion, fear, and relief.

Devyn had a low-grade fever throughout the weekend, and we had to admit that her cough was getting worse. After a consultation with an on-call doctor, I bundled her up and we were off to the local urgent care. Her initial pulse-ox reading was 84, and the nurse, certain that the reading was wrong, went for a second machine and a new reading. She clucked to herself when 84 came up again and casually mentioned that the doctor would be in. A quick text message to Mom reaffirmed that 84 was not a good reading… at all. When the doctor came in, he took a third reading of her oxygen levels. He rattled off a list of things, among them a nebulizer treatment and chest x-rays. Then decisions would be made from there.

The nebulizer treatment seemed to have no affect at all, and the physician decided the x-rays weren’t alarming enough to send Devyn to the hospital. So we were sent home with a new antibiotic and an order to watch her closely. I’m not sure either Jon or I slept very well that night. Jon took the shift until 1:30 in the morning, and I took over thereafter. Walking into her room every hour, standing by her side, waiting and watching to see a movement of any kind; kneeling by her bed, caressing her cheek with my hand; praying fervently for healing and good sleep; listening to her murmur and cough in her sleep; wanting to pick her up and hold her in my arms, just like when she was a baby; wanting desperately to make it all ok for her again. It was a long night.

Another trip to her regular doctor the next day, the third appointment for Devyn since this stuff hit our house. There was another initial bad pulse ox reading, wondering again if we were going to be sent to the hospital. Her doctor came in, looked at her chest x-rays, listened to her lungs, and took another oxygen reading. Her conclusion was that Devyn’s H1N1 (swine) flu had turned into pneumonia, but a mild case at that. In God’s divine hand, putting Devyn on antibiotics for her ear infection days earlier probably kept the pneumonia from getting worse than it did.

*Sigh* It was a long ten days, to be sure. I feel as though I fought a war and am coming out on the other side.

Jon is back at work; his coughing is growing less every day. There still seems to be fluid in his right ear though, and it’s driving him crazy not being able to hear. Reagan has fully recovered from the flu, and is back to smiling and practicing walking and standing by herself. I have an extremely annoying cough that loves to show up at the most inopportune time. And Devyn is getting better. I just got a call from Aunt Alli that after a three hour nap, Devyn is currently running around with Hudson and wrestling.

Here’s hoping that we got all of our sickness out of the way in one shot.

A mama can hope, can’t she?!

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
6:24 PM delete

Aw, so glad to hear everyone is doing better! I give you so much credit!! I do not have kids YET, but I would FREAK out if my child was that sick...I would be a bad, irrational parent! As it is, I bring my dog to the vet for EVERY little thing! I am so impressed with how you have dealt with all of this!!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
1:20 PM delete

Hope is necessary! So glad that you are all on the mend though. What an exhausting and scary time.

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
1:45 PM delete

So glad to hear you are all on the mend! Been praying for you. :)

Hugs,
Mary

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
3:23 PM delete

I sure hope you're done with being sick this year too. I'm so glad life is getting back to normal.

Reply
avatar
11:05 PM delete

we have had the flu and everything else...UGH....Just out blog hopping on tonight...really should be working... Hope you will stop by my Christmas blog and leave your favorite Christmas song...and enter a great giveaway. Also, a birthday letter to my daughter on my main blog...http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

Reply
avatar