My 30th Birthday

Sunday, September 06, 2009 7 Comments A+ a-

First of all, do you all like the birthday present I gave myself? I saw that silhouette of the family on iStock and just had to have it!!

I woke up early this morning. For whatever reason, even though I had the opportunity to sleep in (it is my birthday after all), I just couldn’t. I don’t know what I expected when I woke up, maybe an epiphany regarding my thirty years on this earth, maybe a more responsible self, but I felt the same as when I went to bed last night. Nothing different there.

As hard as it was to post something every day, I’m very thankful for the opportunity to share and reflect on my thirty years on this earth. Some memories made me smile and laugh, some made my heart feel so full it could burst, and others brought me to my knees, either from pain or shame or sorrow. But as much as I’d love to go back and do some things differently, they have made me who I am today.

I have vacillated between many feelings about turning 30; I have wavered between dread, curiosity, acceptance, and yes, even excitement. There’s something about leaving your twenties behind, knowing full well that I’ve stepped over the threshold into true adulthood. Yes, I’ve had a mortgage for two years, yes, I’m a mama to three beautiful children, and Jon and I have traveled this journey of marriage for seven years, so I guess technically, I’ve been an adult for some time. Yet, just the same, there’s a bittersweet feeling to saying good-bye to my twenties.

And yet, as I turn the page of a new decade, I’m excited at the prospects and possibilities that lay before me. So much of my twenties were spent trying to figure out who I was, what I valued in life, and there were many, many, detours to get to this path. But now, on the threshold of my thirties, I am a more confident, capable woman than I was ten years ago. I know who I am, what I believe, what I value, what is important to me. And I intend to live out my thirties making those things a high priority. The possibilities are endless!

I look in the mirror and see a woman who may be going a little gray around the temples, the laugh lines are etching in a little deeper, my body has borne three beautiful babies and no longer has the elasticity of an early twenty-something. But I am a woman who has loved deeply, and been loved in return. Is there nothing more important than that? I looked around the restaurant tonight, the room filled to the brim with family and friends, all of whom mean so much to me, and I know I am blessed.

Here’s to another year on the calendar and an upcoming year full of promise and possibility.

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Kelsey
AUTHOR
10:34 PM delete

Oh Jenn, I'm so glad you had such a wonderful birthday! More importantly, I'm so glad you have had a richly blessed 30 years full of love...what a gift!

Happy Birthday to you!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
6:43 AM delete

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I really have enjoyed reading a glimpse into the journey to 30. The new look is awesome!! I NEED you to get mine an updated look.

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
9:36 AM delete

Jenn, I am confident that you are going to love your 30's. Praying for an extra sweet 1st year in a new decade.

Reply
avatar
Aspiemom
AUTHOR
4:15 PM delete

Happy Birthday! I like the silhouette.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
6:34 AM delete

I love the silhouette too. Happy 30's to you! What an awesome idea to look back through each year of your life.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
9:11 AM delete

lovely post from a lovely lady!

welcome to the best decade yet.... since I am 32, I will share that at first I felt no different but as the months passed, I began to feel like I had come home to myself.

I love my 30s! So glad you have embraced it, dear!

Reply
avatar
Sara Stolz
AUTHOR
12:34 PM delete

Happy Birthday Jenn~!
I wish we could have made it down on Sunday, we were back and forth till the end, but both Ashton and I ended up getting a horrid cold.
YOu are an amazing woman, and the years a head will be the best ones yet!
COngrats on making it to 30!

Sara

Reply
avatar