I'm Listening - Part 1

Thursday, September 17, 2009 3 Comments A+ a-

I am up to my ears in study right now, and loving every minute of it. Never before has God brought a theme into my life so clearly as right now. In the midst of three different books, the theme is recurring and shouting so loudly I can’t hear anything else. I’m being brought to my knees in a way I’ve never have before. All three books are astounding in and of themselves, but together, how could I not hear what God is telling me?!

Curious? Here they are.

unChristian by David Kinnaman
Crazy Love by Francis Chan
Daniel by Beth Moore

Want to know the theme?

All three touch on the fact that in America today, in our culture today, one cannot tell the difference between the non-Christian and the self-proclaimed Christian as they stand side-by-side. One proclaims to love and follow Jesus, the other does not, and yet the way we, as Christians, live our lives look no different to anyone. Ouch, huh?

What would someone say about your life? Do you live in such a way that God is evident, that His fingerprints are every where in your life? I shudder to think what others think of my life as a Christian, as someone who claims to love God. I can say with certainty that I have fallen so very short of bringing glory to the true, Living God.

Christians are supposed to represent Christ to the world. But according to the latest report card, something has gone terribly wrong. Using descriptions like “hypocritical,” “insensitive,” and “judgmental,” young Americans share an impression of Christians that’s nothing short of . . . unChristian.

unChristian has been one of the most enlightening, convicting books I have read in some time. The Barna Group conducted extensive studies and research into the insights of a young generation (ages 16 up to 29) regarding Christians and their faith.

It’s not pretty.

I am not a logical person by any means. I would much rather deal with emotions and feelings than look at statistics, dry numbers, and logic. Yet even this book has grabbed me by the throat and refuses to let go. The numbers, the percentages are shocking! And convicting. The hardest part to process is that the numbers don’t lie.

My first reaction to the book was simple. Why should I care what the world thinks of us as Christians? Isn’t Jesus pretty clear in that the world will hate us, is supposed to hate us? But I love how David Kinnaman addresses those concerns right off the bat. We NEED to care, folks, because in order to connect with our peers, our contemporaries, we need to understand them and their thoughts about us. Not only to connect with them, but to start changing ourselves from the inside out to truly reflect who God has called us to be to the world!

You won’t like the book, I can almost guarantee that. It seems to fly against everything we have ever been brought up to believe, but the book is necessary to make changes in our own lives! And that’s where the book Crazy Love picks up.

Don’t you love it when everything seems to intertwine together? More on Crazy Love at another time. But I highly suggest, no I urge you, to grab unChristian and be open to what God may want you to learn from it.

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
2:56 PM delete

I loved Daniel!

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
6:42 PM delete

Sweet! I can't wait to read them! I am hopping over to my library website to reserve them all right NOW!!!

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
8:05 PM delete

I have Crazy Love and am reading it right now along with Anonymous by Alicia Britt Chole. Like your reads, they are intertwining and giving me much to think about. :)

I love it when God messes us up like that.

Hugs,
Mary

Reply
avatar