The Bible According to Devyn

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7 Comments A+ a-

Everyone should have children if for no other reason than they get to tell some hilarious stories. Like the one I'm going to share here.



I have a favorite spot to have my quiet times. It involves pillows and sitting by the fireplace. Add a cup of my hazel nut coffee and its my happy place. Without fail, the children will wake up, rubbing sleep from their eyes, and stumble into the living room to find me in my spot.



Tonight Devyn came into the living room with the pink Precious Moments bible from my childhood. I'd gifted her with it and you'd think I'd handed her the moon.



So as I sat on the couch nursing Reagan, I watched as Devyn settled herself in my quiet time spot. "I'm going to read the bible," she announced and laid the bible open on her lap.



Soon she was babbling away, "reading" to herself and Hudson who had decided to sit next to her. I then decided to start listening more closely to what she was saying.



She turned a page. "This page says you will die, Hudson." There was a pause. "You will die and I am the truth."



Devyn turned another page.



"This page says Jesus had a birthday party." Another pause. And then she continued. "Party, party, party!"



The sound of another page turning.



"And this page says parents must spank your children."



Oh yeah, the tears were streaming as I shook with quiet laughter. Moments like those make this life so much fun!

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
10:02 PM delete

Have I mentioned how much I love your first born lately? She is too adorable for words!

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
2:49 AM delete

Oh my gosh, that is too cute!!

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
7:33 AM delete

I love it. Kids are great for comic relief. God knew we'd need a way to release stress as we raised them. It is incredible how quickly they pick up new concepts. Isaiah screams Jesus every time we start to turn into church and it just makes me smile.

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
10:56 AM delete

That is awesome. Zoe did practically the same thing the other night. She sat beside me on the bed, opened her Bible and said, "And Jesus went up to the gooey giser." I was rolling. Apparently Dora the Explorer is in the Bible too. Who knew!?

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
7:03 PM delete

That's hilarious!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:05 AM delete

Oh, that's so sweet! I love the *quietly shaking* laughter- happens here all day long! Miss Devyn. I'd love to have her "read" to Eliana... :)

Reply
avatar