Phone Short-Takes

Thursday, August 06, 2009 1 Comments A+ a-

First, and foremost,

Happy Birthday, baby sister! I pray this year is full of sweetness, memorable moments, and love. I hope today is a special one.

Now, on to the short stories.

************

Hudson was stung by a wasp on Tuesday. Not once, but twice. Poor thing! I’ve never heard him in that much pain before. After we’d gotten him settled down, he wanted to call Devyn who was spending the night at Nana and Papa’s house to tell her. As soon as Devyn got on the phone, Hudson started getting upset all over again.

“Owie. Hockey (Golf). Owie. Devyn. Owie. Bees. Owie.”

Hudson barely kept the tears at bay, but desperately needed to tell Devyn about his injuries. (By the way, apparently his golf club had angered the wasps.) I could hear Devyn calming him down, and with a few sniffles, Hudson handed the phone back to me.

************
Devyn often walks around with with a play phone to her ear, just jabbering a mile a minute. (I believe we’re in trouble, folks.) Whenever I ask who she’s talking to, its either Emma or Addison. But on Tuesday night when Devyn spent the night, a new habit was formed.

Aunt Christine noticed Devyn pounding on the key pad, and asked her what she was doing. Devyn replied, “I’m texting Emma.” Oh geez!
************

On our way to Nana’s house yesterday, Hudson wanted to talk to Devyn again. So I called, got her on the phone and then handed it to Hudson. They had a good talk, then I could hear Devyn say good-bye. Apparently Hudson did not.

For the rest of the way, Hudson continued his conversation to a sister that was no longer there. “Devyn. Train. Choo-chooo.” As we passed the train tracks.

“Horsie. Devyn. Niegh.” As we passed the Clydesdale horses.

“Wha? Huh? Devyn. Huh?” He asked of her. I wondered if he had any idea that he was talking to dead air, and truth be told, I don’t think he had a clue.

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:13 AM delete

LOVE it!!!! Those babies of yours are sooooo cute!

Reply
avatar