30 Years - Year 9

Sunday, August 16, 2009 1 Comments A+ a-

Sarah and I shared a teacher in third grade, our dear Mrs. Brown. Sarah and I had been told we’d be good friends “or else” by our mothers, who tossed us together in second grade. (They didn’t really say “or else” but we like to say that they did.) Truthfully, Sarah and I got along famously, even though we had the occasional little girl fight from time to time. It comes with the territory of both being oldest children. Am I right, Sarah?

This particular third grade memory involves the Secret Santas that we did that year. (Sarah, I may get this memory wrong, so please correct me if I do.) Mrs. Brown had put the name of each classmate in a hat and she walked around the room, having each of select a name. The only time we got to put the name back was if we’d selected our own name. Of course, I’d hoped to have the name of someone I liked. And of course, you can’t expect third graders to keep this a secret... seriously!

I looked at my name and I smiled, Melanie Miller. Of course I was happy with that selection! But then another friend, Alyssa Holbrook leaned over to show me who she selected. Sarah. My Sarah! And my little green monster reared its little head. I just smiled at Alyssa.

Not even ten minutes after that, I told Sarah that I knew who her Secret Santa was and told her it was me. (Don’t ask me why I did it, I couldn’t begin to tell you.) Sarah was distraught. She hadn’t wanted to know who her Secret Santa was and now I’d ruined the surprise. Even though I had completely lied. Mrs. Brown was told and I was reprimanded. *Sigh*

Those lessons growing up are never fun, and never easy. Needless to say, I kept my mouth shut for the rest of the Secret Santa party.

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
12:37 PM delete

I'm just reading this today! You have a much better memory than I do Jenn, or maybe we just remember different things for different reasons. I'm impressed that you can pin which year holds which memory so well!

Reply
avatar