30 Years - Year 8

Friday, August 14, 2009 1 Comments A+ a-

Second grade, oh the memories of second grade and one of my favorite teachers, Mrs. Ring. Mrs. Ring made every student feel special, and at the end of the day, we all had to stand in line and get a hug from her before leaving class.

We did a lot of things in that class that make me smile to think of them. We watched caterpillars spin cocoons and emerge from their chrysalis as butterflies. (See, I did learn something.) We learned about Egypt and had a party one day where we got to dress up as Egyptians. I was especially tickled because we were allowed to wear make-up at school that day; I just remember lots of eye liner.

This was the year of the snap-its; those metal covered bracelets that “snapped” on to your wrist. This was also the year that a few of us girls would put gloves on one hand and lip-sync to Michael Jackson during recess.

But this particular memory is not one of my finest moments, in fact, I can still remember the deep shame and embarrassment of this “learning” moment.

I don’t know where I saw it, or what prompted me to do it, but there was a little boy in this class that I did not get along with. Truth be told, I can’t even remember his name. But he was constantly annoying me and trying to get a reaction from me. After a particularly bad day, I simply looked at him and raised my middle finger.

I had no clue what it meant, just that it probably meant something bad. And sure enough, when that little boy hollered for Mrs. Ring, I knew I’d done something so NOT good and blushed a deep, crimson red from embarrassment. I could feel every face turn in my direction to see what was wrong.

I was pulled out into the hall, told that I was never allowed to do that again, and made to sit out there and think about what I’d done. I remember begging Mrs. Ring not to tell my mother. Afterwards, I had to tell the little boy that I was sorry, and I was... very, very sorry.

That afternoon when Mrs. Ring leaned down to give me a hug, I wrapped my arms around her neck and sobbed my apology. She looked at me, whispered that she knew I was a good girl at heart and I wouldn’t let it happen again. With her forgiveness, and a tight squeeze, I knew all was right with the world.

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Paula
AUTHOR
1:14 PM delete

I think we all have done the dreaded slip up. What is so important was the unconditional forgiveness given. To teach that to our children through Christ who forgives....AWESOME!!

Reply
avatar