30 Years - Year 6

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3 Comments A+ a-

Its late and I’ve yet to share my year six memory. Trust me, its been a day. Yet listening to Hudson and Jon’s cousin, Tim, strum the guitar and sing ‘Jesus Loves Me’ together tonight, seems to have made it all better.

Year six, hmmm, so many memories to choose from. I could talk about the day that I had my tonsils removed; it was the same day the Challenger blew up. I could talk about how a few weeks after I’d become a Christian, I’d converted Christine by telling my four-year-old sister she was going to hell. (Hey, if that won’t convince a child to become a Christian, what will?!)

But I think I have a more memorable memory to share. The day we became four.

It was the middle of the night when Dad shook us awake to tell us that Mom’s water had broken and it was time to have the baby. I distinctly remember not caring and rolling over to go back to sleep.

Christine, Allison, and I were dropped off at our aunt and uncle’s apartment and I do remember the dark of the early, early morning. I remember the dim glow of their hallway light as they gathered mattresses and blankets to make a bed for us on the living room floor. And not much else as we drifted back to sleep.

The next morning Aunt Debbie came out of her bedroom to tell me that Dad wanted to talk to me. Her bedroom was at the end of the hallway, on the left, I picked up the phone with the rotary dial, and said, “Hello?”

“Well,” said Dad. “Its another girl.” I know he was trying not to be disappointed with the fact that the chance for a boy had escaped yet again, but even to my six-year-old ears, I could hear the resignation. Resigned to the fact that he was destined to be a daddy of girls.

He loves it now. He loves sharing with anyone who shows the slightest interest that he has four girls. And quite frankly, I have loved being a part of that foursome.
Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Taryn
AUTHOR
7:05 AM delete

What a fun way to countdown to 30!! I may have to "steal" this idea for next year when I'm going to turn 29...again. :)

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:08 AM delete

I remember when you told me that dad didn't want me because I was a girl. =)
That's when I went through my tomboy phase. Thanks Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
12:51 PM delete

I remember Courtney's tomboy phase too. Who knew she'd end up being the girlyest one? Ha ha. Love you Court. ;)
Jenn, I'm loving this countdown to 30! I promise, I'll give you my story soon.

Reply
avatar