30 Years - Year 5

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4 Comments A+ a-

Mom and I were returning from a meet-n-greet with my new kindergarten teacher. I was excitedly chatting a mile a minute, feeling so big about going to school, and yet bouncing my feet against the seat because they didn’t reach the floor.

“I think she might be a Christian,” Mom mused to me. My five-year-old self smiled, happy to have a teacher that was like me.

“Mom, I’m a Christian too, right?” I asked her. It made sense to me, after all, I went to church with my parents, I knew the words to the songs we sang, I knew about Jesus and God. Of course I was a Christian.

Mom smiled at me in the rearview mirror and announced we were going to have a date. We stopped at a park, got out of the car, and made ourselves comfortable by the lake.

It was there that Mom explained that I was sinner, I was born a sinner, my need for a savior, to be saved, and that Jesus was that savior. There we sat, on a concrete block, and at five years old, I asked Jesus to be MY savior.

************

Many will argue that five years old is too young to comprehend such a deep theology, but while on this earth, Jesus continually reminded his disciples to have a faith like a child. And I see that faith in my own children. As a child you don’t need logical or intellectual arguments; as a child my mom gave me truth and I took it at face value.

It was many years later when I was faced with my own crisis of faith, and I was given a choice, continue claiming my parents faith as my own, or decide to follow Christ on my own. My Christian walk is not without its valleys, deep, dark valleys, but there has never been a doubt in my mind that God is true. Everything He says, does, and is, is Truth! With a capital T.

I don’t know you, I don’t know who reads this blog. I see the locations on my site meter and I wonder who is on the other side of that IP address. I don’t know if you’re a Christian, an atheist, a protagonist, or a believer who is currently walking through their own valley. But you need to know this, and yes, God is saying this to YOU.

You are loved with a passion, with a depth, that is incomprehensible to the human mind. My God longs to share His love with YOU! He sent His son to die for YOU! His son took on the sins of this world, my sins, your sins, so that we could be in a relationship with the everlasting, true God. There is NO other God!

Many will say that to be a Christian to be bound by rules and laws and restrictions. Let me assure you. I have never known such freedom as the freedom I have in Christ. It is a liberating rush to know that I am free! My deepest prayer is that you would know such freedom too!

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
LDraper
AUTHOR
1:46 PM delete

Praise God that there are places like your blog where a wonderful woman, with a heart for the Lord, can share the gospel so clearly. I pray that someone reading this will recognize their need for a Savior today.

Awesome Jenn.... just awesome. God is so good.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
10:39 AM delete

I have just caught up with your 30 yr count down. What a wonderful collection of memories. So sweet and tender. I would agree weather you are 5 or 55 God is going to meet you where you are at and reveal His knowledge in due time. You are a great person Jenn and one day hopefully we can sit and drink a cup of coffee and get to know one another...it just may happen on the other side:)

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:30 PM delete

Ummm Jenn? You haven't posted Day 6 yet and the day is almost over. Just saying...

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
9:54 PM delete

What a lovely memory of year 5! I'm glad you had such a loving mother who believed in that child-like faith.

Reply
avatar