30 Years - Year 3

Sunday, August 09, 2009 1 Comments A+ a-

Ahh, yes, year three of my life. The memories are coming a little more easily, they’re a little clearer, and I’m having fun. A couple of memories were suggested by family members for this year. One involving a trip to the doctor after I’d stuffed a wad of kleenex up my nose, it had been there for days before they could find the source of the rotting smell. Yeah, gross. But I wanted this one instead.

It was December in 1982, I was three years old and my Arizona grandparents and family were visiting for Christmas. Apparently it snowed... a lot... and the Christmas Eve Blizzard of 1982 went down in history.

My dad and my mom’s brothers were anxious to get out in the six-foot snow drifts to play and at three years old, of course I wanted to join them. They bundled me into a heavy-duty snow suit and out we ventured.

(Now this I don’t remember, I’ve just been told the story numerous times.)

Once we got outside, I changed my mind and wanted to go back inside. But instead of marching me the 15 feet to the back door, my dad in all his infinite wisdom decided to lay me in the back of the station wagon while they went to build snow caves. (Seriously?!?)

Here’s where my memory picks up. I remember laying there, barely able to move because of the puffiness of the snow suit, looking around my surrounding. The car was pretty much covered from the snow drifts, so there was the pale blue tint to everything. I remember the carmel-colored ceiling of the station wagon, and I remember wondering when they were going to come back and get me. To a three-year-old, I felt like I’d been in there forever!

When suddenly two shadows appeared at the hatch. I watched as they rubbed the snow off the window and peeked in the window. I remember grinning from ear-to-ear as I realized it was Dad and he was coming to take me back in.

My Arizona relatives swore they'd never come back during Colorado winters again. And they stuck to that promise. Until December of 2006. We had another blizzard.
Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
11:36 AM delete

Never say never!
So much fun walking down memory lane with you!

Reply
avatar