30 Years - Year 23

Sunday, August 30, 2009 1 Comments A+ a-

Jon and I settled in married life pretty easily. We had our ups and downs, learned some very valuable lessons about fighting fair, but overall, it wasn’t nearly as hard as we’d feared it would be. I think knowing each other for so long before we married allowed for such an easy transition. I knew him better than I knew myself at times.

So it was no surprise to Jon when I bemoaned the fact that I would miss Thursday night TV with the sisters. It had become a tradition to sit down together and watch Friends, all four of us together. Jon casually mentioned one week that I should invite them over one Thursday for a Friends viewing. Little did he know the tradition this would start.

Christine, Allison, and Courtney started coming over every Thursday night after that. Then pretty soon Christine started asking if Caleb could start coming over, then it was one of Caleb’s friends, and then Jon wanted to invite one of his friends over too. Before we knew it, we had a steady Thursday night group congregating at our house every Thursday night. This group consisted of Jon and I, the three sisters, Caleb, Jeremy, Peter, Annie, and Drew. There were others who joined on occasion, but this was the core group.

Oh, those nights were hysterical! Jeremy and Peter had such an amazing chemistry together. Just one of those duos who knew exactly how to play off the other, and resulting in many, many laughs! In fact, I can remember on more than one occasion, waking on a Friday morning with my abs just aching from the laughs the night before. I think the best part was the running commentary between the guys while watching Most Extreme Sports on Spike TV.

This tradition carried on into well over the first two years of our marriage. We could always expect a steady stream of people walking through our front door every Thursday night. The memories of those years make me smile.

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
10:31 PM delete

Oh! I so miss those years! That was so much fun.

Reply
avatar