30 Years - Year 21

Friday, August 28, 2009 1 Comments A+ a-

Ahh, yes, twenty-one. For the most part, twenty-one was quite a good year!

I celebrated my 21st birthday with a baseball game with my dad, had my first beer in a ballpark, and then later went out to dinner with my family and enjoyed a raspberry margarita. It was a pretty tame celebration, all in all.

I got engaged during my 21st year, whereby (I’ll admit it)I turned into a bit of a Bridezilla. (How many times did I kick you out of the wedding, Courtney?!)

But oh, who can forget the day they found THE dress?! The dress they just knew they’d walk down the aisle and marry their best friend in… I know I won’t.

The first weekend after Jon and I had gotten engaged, my sisters, a couple of friends, Mom, and Grandma Nancy went to one of the only local bridal shops to try on dresses. I had a blast, trying on some of the most expensive gowns in the store. I thought I’d wanted a specific designer, but once I’d tried on her gowns, I knew they weren’t for me. They were SO heavy!

So I quickly changed my expectations. I just wanted the big, white skirt… the bigger, the better.

After checking out a couple of local shops, we decided to make a day of it in Denver. I had it all mapped out… which shops we’d go to, where we would go for lunch, I was fired up! The same group accompanied me on this trip and we stopped in a little shop in Aurora.

We zipped through the gowns, pulling some off the racks to try on. I had about four to five gowns and was getting ready to try them on, when Courtney rushed in with another dress. I looked at it and dismissed it with a single glance. But she made me try it on anyway. (She’s kind of pushy, even at 15 years old.) I went through all the others and only Courtney’s was left.

I slipped it on over my body and liked it, but the skirt wasn’t big enough. One of the consultants overheard me and promptly brought in the biggest, puffiest slip they had. So I switched slips and retried on Courtney’s dress. It was perfect! The bodice fit perfectly, it was the perfect size skirt, I just fell in love. I could feel the tears stinging my eyes, and I locked eyes with Mom in the mirror, who was also shedding tears by this point. I just knew this was the dress I was going to become Jon’s wife in.

Grandma made me go to other bridal stores to try on other dresses. “Just to be sure,” she said. I really liked a sheath dress at another store, but it didn’t even come close to my dress at the other store. That was THE dress!
Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:29 AM delete

Thank you for giving me credit for the dress, I would also like to point out I picked Christine's dress too. =)

Reply
avatar