30 Years - Year 2

Saturday, August 08, 2009 0 Comments A+ a-

These memories are from Debbie, a family friend, and mother of Missy, one of my oldest friends. We often joke that we were friends in the womb, even though we’re a year apart. Our parents have been friends since high school, so it may as well be true.

Your Birth - Your mom, Becky, was so ready for you to be born. Once you arrived, her life and your dad's were changed forever...forever to be blessed. I remember that you were so small (at least to someone who had not seen a newborn for quite a while) and of course, you were the most beautiful little person any of us had ever seen!

Malisa's First Birthday - You would have been almost two years old at her first birthday party. I remember as clearly today as at the actual party, the two of you sitting out in my mother's front yard on a vinyl tablecloth, in your diapers only, eating birthday cake together. If memory serves me well, you both were treated to a bath shortly thereafter since cake was literally everywhere.


Thanks Debbie!

****************
And now its my turn, as this is my earliest memory. Its a dim memory, blurry around the edges, but it started a habit that continued to the day Christine and I no longer lived under the same room.

I was two years old when Christine was born. She had her own room, the nursery, down the hall next to Mom and Dad’s room. I had been moved into a room further away, closer to the kitchen and the back door. I didn’t like it. I was alone and it scared me.

When she was about four or five months old, I distinctly remember waking up in the middle of the night and toddling down the hall into her room. I can remember the glow of the nightlight, it cast shadows around the room. I even remember the position of the rocking chair next to the crib.

I climbed on top of that rocking chair and into the crib, where I spent the rest of the night. Sleeping next to Christine, the baby comforting the toddler.
Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.