30 Years - Year 16

Monday, August 24, 2009 0 Comments A+ a-

Ahhh, sweet sixteen, and all the turbulent emotions and feelings that come with it! I could mention the sweet-sixteen party that I had at a neighborhood park. (That was a blast!) I could talk about my first year of high school and all the teasing I received in yearbook as one of the two sophomores. I could talk about awkwardness of high school dances. I worked my first job at Orange Julius, received my first kiss just two months prior to my 17th birthday, and had a horrific perm throughout that whole year.

But one of my favorite memories was of the youth group summer camp the summer I was 16 years old. We went to Summer Jam, which was held on a college campus. I had invited a friend, yes, Kim, to come with me and proceeded to ignore her, and my other friends, during the entire camp. Of course a boy was involved. The first boyfriend.

But what really stands out from this trip, is Jamie and Jon. Yes, that’s my hubby, Jon, but not at that time.

At that time, Jamie had a tremendous “thing” for Jon and all she could talk about was him. I loved listening to her go on and on about him. It was obvious he was a special guy! Every time he walked by us, there was giggling and pointing. Of course, he just turned on that mega-watt smile and would disappear with his friends.

Sure enough, Jamie and Jon started dating. It ended soon before my family started going to his church. And I couldn’t stop thinking about the things Jamie had admired in him...

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.