30 Years - Year 10

Sunday, August 16, 2009 2 Comments A+ a-

We're a third of the way through my life now...

This is from Courtney. I'm not at all portrayed in a good light here, but you'll get a great glimpse into my bossy, oldest child syndrome. I laughed so hard reading through this one.

Jenn,

One of my favorite things about you is your true oldest sibling personality. You have always been very bossy, demanding, over protective, and quick to give your opinion on everything when it comes to your three little sisters. Through the years it has been both a blessing and a curse to us but something I appreciate a lot because I know you always have my back. I have countless stories of us growing up when you tried to be the one to mother us but one of my favorite memories is when you tried to teach us… literally.

I remember when I was about five (which would make you ten
[or eleven, but whatever]) and I had just recently finished my first year of kindergarten. Somehow you got it in your mind that summer school would be a fun activity for the four of us girls all summer long. You went to your teacher and asked for additional school material (math problem activities, reading assignments, writing notepads and reading books). We were so excited when you brought everything home and told us your plan. Mom helped you set it all up in our downstairs office, complete with TV tray dinners for our desks, folding chairs and you used the office desk as your “teacher area”. I was so excited that my older sister was going to continue to teach me all summer long (I was young and still loved the idea of school) and we couldn’t wait to get started.

Things were great for the first couple of days but I remember it was very hard for you to step into teacher role and not big sister role. There were many times you would lose your patience with us and a fight would pursue. Mom would be quick to come downstairs and remind you that this was just a game and to go easy on us. Finally, towards the end of the first week, the three little ones had has just about enough of the “fun” game of school. I remember my bossy older sister was punishing me for not finishing my writing assignment on time and you forbid me to have any lunch or recess time. That’s it, I was done. We went upstairs to mom and told her, in our little girl words, that you were abusing your power a little too much after trying to lock us into the office so we couldn’t get out as our punishment to not obeying you.

Jenn, dear older sister, I love you so much and I am SO appreciative of everything you have done for me through the years. But I am also very thankful that you never took up teaching as a career choice.

Happy 30th month!!!

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
9:17 PM delete

Ha ha! I am loving this. It's bringing back so many memories. Great job Court!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
8:25 PM delete

LOL! That totally was how it was! I was laughing while reading this!
alli

Reply
avatar