Taking My Own Advice

Thursday, July 09, 2009 2 Comments A+ a-

I'll admit it, I've had a bad attitude lately. Don't get me wrong, I love my babies, but if I'd heard one more whine... I'll leave the end of that sentence for your imagination.

Yesterday, nothing went right. I've come to adore my early mornings with a cup of coffee, the bible, my study, and silence. Those quiet times have become my saving grace. So when Devyn woke up before I did, with Reagan following close behind, I knew it wasn't going to happen, and I resented the interruption to my daily routine.

My heart needed an attitude adjustment. And then I thought of Devyn.

In trying to curb her whining, I've started asking her to tell me why she's thankful. Her list runs the gamut from her brother and sister, to getting to watch Dora the Explorer, to what she's eating, to Mama's help with cleaning her room. It's working.

And I decided that I needed to follow my own advice. I started making my own list, of the blessings, both big and small, in my life. Guess what? It's working.
  • Chubby, dimpled toddler hands patting my back, or rubbing my arms.
  • Listening to Devyn and Hudson sing-along to either our kids praise music CD or Johnny Cash.
  • Listening to Devyn pronounce the words "Daddy sings babies, and Momma sings dinner", instead of the actual lyrics "Daddy sings bass, and Momma sings tenor."
  • Jon's hand at the small of my back.
  • Sleepy, baby eyes and big, baby smiles.
  • Little boys that catch frogs, then declare they are "icky".
  • Little girls that will happily hold the frogs their little brother caught.
  • Little ones sleeping on me.
  • Private glances between Husband and Wife; knowing exactly what the other is thinking without having to say a word.
  • Phone calls from doctors saying "All is clear."
  • Girlfriends, old and new, sharing in life's trials, tribulations, and milestones.
  • Play dates.
  • Hudson's giggles as he chases Bailee the puppy around and around our front yard.
  • Coffee dates.
  • The quiet of Devyn "reading" to her siblings.
  • The look of awe on Reagan's face at being included with the big kids.
  • Christine and her contentment in finally being Mommy.
  • Hudson's growing vocabulary.
  • Realizing that you're not the only mama who has felt this way from time to time.
  • Coffee, a good book, and "me" time.
  • A husband that recognizes I'm a better wife and mother with some "me" time, sending me off with his blessing.
  • Stable jobs in an unstable market.
  • A God that provides.
  • New truths revealed through bible studies.
  • Brothers-in-law that are so dear to my heart!
  • Sisters who love and accept me for who I am, bad moods, bad attitudes, and all.
  • Family.
  • Baby hands that seek my skin for comfort.
  • Furtive looks from my four-year-old, wanting to ensure that I see her practicing her name and wanting praise for her efforts.
  • A husband that I can fight with, argue with, and the knowledge he will still love me at the other side of it.
  • The ability to make him laugh.

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
6:37 AM delete

•Listening to Devyn pronounce the words "Daddy sings babies, and Momma sings dinner", instead of the actual lyrics "Daddy sings bass, and Momma sings tenor."

This is about the funniest thing I have heard in a long time

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
5:02 PM delete

Time for me to get out some pen and paper...

Reply
avatar