Short Stories

Sunday, July 19, 2009 1 Comments A+ a-

One of my dearest friends from high school, Kim, came home for a visit. As we sat around catching up, we wondered at the odds of three of our best friends in high school all being due within two weeks of each other. (Seriously, Jamie, Amy, and Marianne, how DID that happen?!)

When out of nowhere, Devyn piped up, “Because God made them.”

**********

Hudson has learned how to say Devyn’s name quite well lately, and that’s pretty the only thing we here around here. Depending on how many syllabels he uses and the inflection of his tone, we get a good idea of what’s going on.

“Dev-yn” = Let’s play.
“De-e-e-vyn!” = I am telling on you!
“De-vy-nnn!” = I just heard Mom and Dad discipline you, now I'm going to too.

Poor Devyn! She gets blamed for everything too. Girl can’t catch a break.

**********

The same night we hung out with Kim, Devyn came inside from the backyard where she’d been playing with Hudson. When I asked her where Hudson was, she replied. “He’s in the back yard.”

Pause.

“But don’t worry, there’s adults out there too.”

**********

Another night we met up with friends to eat pizza and visit. This particular pizzeria is located in a courtyard of sorts, with tons of sidewalks, fountains, specialty shops, etc. When the kids started getting riled up, Jon took them to play outside. It was then that Hudson and Devyn started racing, and of course, Hudson fell and got a goose egg of a bruise.

It stayed around for a week and anytime someone asked Hudson what had happened, he pointed to his sister and said, “De-e-evyn!”

**********

I’m not sure if anyone is familiar with this version of Cinderella, or this one, but Devyn has recently learned how to say the word “impossible” and is asking me to this song over and over again. I find that the words are running through my head even in my dreams.

Impossible,
for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage,

Impossible,
for a plain country bumpkin and a prince to join in marriage.


Impossible, things are happening everyday.
Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
5:21 PM delete

These are my favorite posts. Those kids make me smile so much!

Reply
avatar