Every... single... time!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2 Comments A+ a-

I could hear my coworker’s voice getting a little louder, a little more shrill, and wondered what was going on. Whoever she was talking to on the phone was obviously agitating her. Her conversation continued, her voice rising, then falling, only to rise again. I knew her family was going through a hard time, an extremely hard time, so I just hoped that everything was ok.

Approximately a half-hour later my coworker emerged from her cubicle and came to apologize to us for being so loud. She then sighed in frustration and said the one word I could completely and totally empathize with, “Sisters!”

Within minutes there was approximately four to five women congregated as we discussed siblings, past histories with siblings, and commiserated with each other. It was in that moment that something very profound came to me, and I said it out loud, to which every woman there nodded her head in complete agreement.

“It doesn’t matter how old we get, how mature we grow, siblings will always be able to bring us back to the maturity of an eleven-year-old, and we will fight as children.”

I brought up the same topic to Courtney on the phone last night and even she completely agreed. It’s true. At least in our case, its true.

I am able to disagree with friends or coworkers and have a mature conversation about the differences. When there’s a misunderstanding, I can go to the person and talk it out. When I feel I’ve been insulted, or wronged in some way, I can confront them without a hint of accusation, anger, or tears in my voice.

But if it’s a sister? Watch out, my inner child breaks loose! I’m serious. I am an almost 30-year-old woman and just this past 4th of July, I perceived a wrong from the sisters and refused to answer my phone when they called to explain themselves.

"Hi, my name is Jenn, and I fight like an adolescent."

Christine, Allison, and Courtney know exactly what buttons to push to get the reactions they want, and I seem unable to stop myself. It’s ridiculous really, how childish we become, but its the behavior we revert to every time. The only difference between now and then is that we realize how silly we’re being a lot sooner than when we were younger. And I hope, please tell me if I’m wrong Court, that I’m more willing to admit when I’m wrong now.

I’m sure when all four of us are in our fifties, we will still be fighting and arguing like adolescents. And at that time our own grown children will have to tell us to play nice.

Photobucket

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Melody
AUTHOR
12:17 AM delete

I don't think your family is any different than most. I never had any siblings to fight with, so I can't speak from personal experience.

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
9:25 AM delete

THis is so so true. I just had an incident with my sister recently that made me crazy and if it was anyone else I would have brushed it off.

Jenn

Reply
avatar