Modesty at 4 Years Old

Thursday, June 18, 2009 3 Comments A+ a-

Yesterday my mom, sisters, and I got into a conversation regarding modesty. It was a quick conversation, not lasting longer than 15-20 minutes. But nevertheless, little ears were listening.

When the kids and I pulled into the driveway yesterday afternoon, there was a car parked in front of our house, belonging to one of Jon’s coworkers, who had come to help work on Jon’s truck. As I was unloading the kids, I noticed that Devyn in particular was taking longer than usual and my patience was wearing thin. I coaxed, I prodded, I ordered; all to no avail to hurry Devyn along.

Then I noticed that Devyn was clutching her winter coat to her chest.

“Oh dear child,” I bemoaned, “There’s no need for that; its seventy degrees out here. You’ll roast!”

I watched as her eyes filled up with tears and in a shaky voice, Devyn replied, “But Mama. I don’t want him to see these.” Then she motioned in the vicinity of her chest.

And this mama finally understood.

So I grabbed a lighter hoody and placed it over her shoulders. I zipped it up per her request, covering the top of her sundress and any semblance, in her mind, of improper dress. As I did, I was humbled. That a little girl would be so perceptive to an earlier conversation regarding dress and purity is heartwarming. That a little girl would so desire to dress in a way that would be pleasing to her parents and God is mind-blowing. And I was completely awed.

While I am thankful for Devyn’s perceptive and willing spirit, I also want my little girl to remain a little girl. We had a conversation regarding this subject last night, after Jon’s coworker had left.

I was very clear that I did not want her to worry about these things until she was older. She is, after all, just a child. A child who has far lighter responsibilities than worrying if she’s showing too much skin. I told her that she and I would have a much deeper conversation regarding dress and modesty around the 11, 12, or 13th year. But until then, she need not worry.

But oh, I am a thankful Mama for a willing and gentle spirit in my Devyn Paige.


***************

Just a reminder. There is still time to enter the giveaway for the Matthew West CD. You have until 10:00pm tomorrow (Friday, June 19th) to submit a comment on the post below. Do not feel obligated to leave any personal thoughts. Simply your name and a way to get in touch with you will suffice. The odds are very much in your favor at the moment!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
2:37 PM delete

sweet Devyn! Emma feels the same way whenever boys/men are around and actually, I think it's good for them to start young, being aware of what's appropriate. A little girl who's used to dressing modestly will hopefully grow into a blossoming teen who holds the same values. And so sadly, we live in a day and age when a lot of the clothes available for our little girls makes them look way too grown up way too soon. And on the same token, we live in a time where sexual predators are a very real threat. But you are right, awareness rather than worry is the goal. You're doing a great job Jenn!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
10:20 PM delete

That is absolutely darling! How lovely that she wants to please and so wants to be like you!

Bless her little spirit!

p.s. LOVE the new look!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
6:32 PM delete

SOO precious!! =) It is aweing like you said, Jenn, Devyn's little spirit to spiritual matters of the heart and conduct of a Christian girl even at such a young age. She amazes me too, with her tender little heart towards God. It humbles those of us in her life to be more aware each day of how she perceives things and teaching her God's ways. How I love her.....
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar