A Desire for Passion

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4 Comments A+ a-

You know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach as you climb the first hill of a roller coaster? You're wrought with nerves, fear, and anticipation, knowing that you're in for a wild ride. Just typing those first two sentences I'm feeling very much the same way. Truth be told, just thinking about writing this post has left this feeling in the very pit of my stomach. Bear with me as I try to make some kind of sense in this post.

Pastor Jim is currently doing a series on revival, a lot of the focus being on the revivals in Scotland during the late 1850s into the 1860s. A revival in which there was no explanation BUT God. No other reason, than the Holy Spirit was alive and real in that country. Pastor Jim is praying for a revival here, now, in these times, in this place. He's been praying for it for a while now, and every time we touch on the subject, I get that feeling I just described above.

Usually, I fear the idea of a revival. Crazy that I just wrote that, huh? But let me assure you, its a healthy fear. I know that my God is bigger than anything my mind can comprehend. I know that He pushes social norms, He does not exist solely for church buildings, religion and titles do not impress Him, He pushes us out of our comfort zones, He does not know boundaries or constraints. So when the idea of revival is brought up, I get jittery. Because I know that when God decides its time for a revival, when the Holy Spirit shows up in our community, in our church, in ourselves, its going to get mighty uncomfortable around here for a lot of folks. Including myself.

But you know what, for the first time in my adult life, I'm ready. I want a revival. I want a passion that burns so hot and so uncontrollably, that others around me can't help but be burned by it. I want to wake up every morning with a thirst for Him and His Word, a thirst so strong that it can't be quenched. I want the first thing I think of in the morning and the last thing I think of at night, to be Him. I want that passion here, in this town, in this state, in this country. I want it in a generation that has become indifferent and ambivalent. I want His presence here. I want what no other explanation can provide, Him.

Yes, it's going to get uncomfortable.

I don't have this in my life right now, but I want it. And until that fire is all-consuming, I'll be praying for it... and waiting.
LORD, I have heard of your fame;
I stand in awe of your deeds, O LORD.
Renew them in our day,
in our time make them known;
in wrath remember mercy.
Habakkuk 3:2

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
7:44 AM delete

The two of us should talk about this sometime. I have wanted to post on this for a LONG time but can't get the words out...

Reply
avatar
Jaime
AUTHOR
1:24 PM delete

"I want a passion that burns so hot and so uncontrollably, that others around me can't help but be burned by it." I love that!! I am in total agreement with you!

Reply
avatar
Dan
AUTHOR
3:07 PM delete

I like it, Jenn! I think hearts all over are starting to desire the same thing. For me, "revival" stirs up ideas of madness and sometimes misguided intentions, but now, I think we can agree, I'm just ready for God to move in our community in a BIG way. Keep the faith, PRAY, it will happen.

Also, I bet you CAN'T guess who requested the blog, but who did you think it was?

Reply
avatar
1:09 PM delete

Jenn, I am always inspired by your words when I stop by. I have felt this way for the past few months and it seems like the world around me is getting darker and darker.

By the way, love the new blog look.

Reply
avatar