Begging Time to Stand Still

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2 Comments A+ a-



Oh Miss Reagan, my sunshine, how you have touched our lives! Five months on Friday… five months since you came into our lives. Yet it feels like you’ve always been here.

You are a special little girl, but I think you already know that. You are easy, by far my easiest child to date. You’re content to lay there, look around your world, and smile. Oh, your smile. I could write poetry regarding your smile and how it the weight of it makes your body curl into itself. As soon as one has eye contact with you, you break into a wide grin, as though you’ve been waiting just for that one person. Your daddy specifically can’t help but coo into your eyes as you bestow that smile on him. Between you and me, love, he’s toast where you’re concerned.

Your siblings, they love you. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I have to beg them to stop fighting over you. “She is both of your sister, “ I tell them. Over and over again. “Take turns,” I command. Over and over again. And you, you are oblivious to it all. All you know is that you’re loved, that there is both a brother and sister whose sole purpose is to make you share one of your smiles. You love Devyn, she walks into a room and your face lights up. She is a good sister, patient, loving, and helpful. Hudson is someone that you tolerate. When he grabs an arm or leg, when he pats you a little too harshly on the head, you just stare at him, wondering why on earth your parents are allowing him to do this to you. Patience with your big brother, love, he is young and still learning the ropes of siblinghood. One day he will be your greatest defender. Not to mention there will come a day when you will get your revenge.

I would be remiss if I did not mention your cousin, Elliana. It feels as though Ellie is an extension of our immediate family, a third sibling that sleeps at Aunt Christine and Uncle Caleb’s house. It is wonderful watching the two of you grow together, Aunt Christine and I share stories about recent developments and milestones. We bemoan the questions regarding both your and Ellie’s small size. And we wait for the day that you will actually reach for each other in companionship. Only recently have you two started making eye contact with one another. We hope that there will be a deep, lasting friendship between the two of you. But only time will tell.

You are anxious to move, little one. You so enjoy tummy time, so much so that you start crying when you accidentally roll to your back. You’ve become quite vocal about your dislike of the swing, or laying on your back; you want to be a part of the action. While you are easy, we are seeing signs of a temper. In the blink of an eye you can go from contented to upset, its quite an unsettling cry. The cause is usually hunger or a change of position, but really we don’t hear it often. You are mostly a happy girl.

Miss Rea, you are the first of our children to actually prefer my arms over another’s. Both Devyn and Hudson were content, as long as they were held. But you, precious, prefer your mother over anyone else. Do you know what that does to this mama’s heart? It melts my heart into a puddle on the floor. I’m sad because you won’t get the amount of one-on-one time with me that Devyn and Hudson got, but that is why I’m cherishing these times with you so much more. Every night I look forward to 8:00 when your brother and sister go to sleep because I know the next few hours are filled with you. We can play to your heart’s content, or I’ll stroke your closed eyelids and lips while you sleep.

You are a gift, Reagan Jacqueline. Happy five months, my baby girl!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Beth
AUTHOR
8:03 PM delete

Beautiful post! I have a 6-month old who is also our third child (a brother to two older sisters) , so I totally relate...he seems to be growing so fast - too quickly...

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
5:10 PM delete

5 months!! How can it be??

She is beautiful.

Reply
avatar