I don't get it...

Thursday, April 23, 2009 12 Comments A+ a-

Many don’t get it, nor understand it. I’ve gotten looks, questions, concern. I’ve even been reprimanded. This whole world of blogging just doesn’t make sense to many in my life. Why I’d want to put myself out there like that, or why I’m as open as I am, is a puzzle to many. Normally, I just smile and nod my head, unsure of what to say or what it is they want to hear. But here’s the deal…

I have always been an open book; rarely does anyone wonder what I’m thinking, why I’m thinking it, or if they do, all they have to do is ask me and I’ll tell them. But more often than not, I wear my thoughts and emotions on my face. So it’s nothing to me to put myself out there on the World Wide Web; it’s become an extension of who I am. As the kids grow and become older and start wanting to keep more things private, I’ll have to revisit that philosophy. But in the meantime, theirs and my life are an open book. And know that nothing is ever posted without the approval of my husband, or anyone else that I may write about on here.

I’ll be celebrating four years of blogging in the fall. It’s amazing to me that I’ve stuck with something that long. I can’t tell you how many journals sit in my drawer with the first few entries completed and the rest sit blank. I have an absolute blast revisiting past blog entries and I’m amazed at how things have changed, in such a short time!

But I think one of the greatest gifts I’ve been given through blogging is the community of women (Christian and non-Christian) that I’ve met. Some I’ve gotten incredibly close to, some have stayed for a season, some I chat with via email or Facebook, and one in particular has become very special to me.

I’m not sure who found whom first, or who reached out first, but when Amy and I found ourselves expecting #2 within weeks of each other, a connection was formed. We started out by leaving comments on each other’s blogs, which then turned into emails, which turned into cards and baby gifts, which turned into phone calls. Oh, those calls were a saving grace. We laughed, we cried, we offered support, it was our own private therapy sessions.

And then Amy broached the idea of meeting in person and both husbands were a little leery, wondering what had overcome their normally sensible wives. Who does that? Who meets a friend they met over the internet?! But both gave in and Amy’s family flew out for a vacation in the Colorado mountains/meet-in-person trip. I dealt with a ton of nerves, wondering if I was going to live up to any expectations that might exist, fearing I may not be as likable in person. But all the worry was for nothing. Amy and I clicked, our children played together famously (I still love thinking about Parker and Devyn racing each other down a walkway, or jumping off the fireplace together), and even our husbands bonded over a brewery tour one day.

And yet, somehow, in the midst of living life, finishing a basement, and having a third (me, not Amy), we have still managed to stay good friends. So much so that she’s arriving on Saturday for a quick 4-day trip and I’m almost giddy at thought of getting some one-on-one time with her! We don’t have any definitive plans aside from dinner with my family (who are all incredibly anxious to meet her) and a coffee date with Sarah. Hopefully, it’ll be a relaxing, restorative time for her. Personally, I just can’t wait to squeeze her neck! And yes, I definitely owe a trip to her home state soon, it’s only fair!

This friendship is just one of the many reasons I blog…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
1:18 PM delete

I'm right there with you sister, I TOTALLY get it! That must be why we're so close:). Can't wait to see you both on Monday!

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
1:31 PM delete

Oh, oh, oh....I was smiling while reading this whole post!! Words are not adequate...I'm sooooo excited! You are my favorite blogging benefit:)

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
1:36 PM delete

Awww. . . that is so sweet. And I totally understand the connection. When I got to meet a blogging buddy of mine in person it was like first date jitters. :) Ya'll have a great time together! :)

Reply
avatar
Julie
AUTHOR
1:37 PM delete

I frequent your blog regularly, and love it. I found it from Amy's blog. Amy is a total sweetheart - her husband is best friend's with my brother- and I've had the honor of getting to know her when I get back to WA for a visit from time to time. Enjoy your time ladies.... I'm a bit envious of the fun you will encounter!
Blessings,
Julie D. (FL)

Reply
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
4:29 PM delete

This post is so sweet! I have told you before, but I just love the friendship the two of you have. Have fun with my sister!

Kelsey

Reply
avatar
Jaime
AUTHOR
8:38 PM delete

That sounds like so much fun! I have so many blogging friends that I'd love to meet in person :) Enjoy your time!

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
7:44 AM delete

I am so glad you girls are getting some time together to hang out.
Have fun!!

Reply
avatar
Holly
AUTHOR
8:04 PM delete

Wow, you've been blogging for a really long time! I've only been writing for a little over a year!

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
9:30 PM delete

Yay! I am so glad that you and Amy found each other- I know that she treasures you and your friendship so much. I hope you guys are having a happy weekend and taking lots of pictures! And yes, you definitely have to make your way over here sometime soon... :)

xo andi

Reply
avatar
2:41 PM delete

Hey, just wanted to say, I LOVE THE NEW BLOG DESIGN!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
4:41 PM delete

I hope you had a WONDERFUL time with Amy! Love the new look.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
10:47 AM delete

Well, I'm very glad you blog! It's been fun to get to know you here, even if we never meet. That's so awesome that you and Amy have such a special connection and able to get together.

Reply
avatar