The Faith of My Child

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 13 Comments A+ a-

Now that Devyn is attending Awana's on a weekly basis, she's constantly bringing home songs that I remember from my childhood. But there is one song that has been escaping me for a while now. Devyn knew a few of the lyrics but not all of them. So on our way home from a barbecue with some friends, Jon made me google the following lyrics "the rains came down and the floods came up". I found a delightful website that gave me the rest of the lyrics to The Wise Man Built His House.

And not only the lyrics to that song, but a whole list of songs that were instantly remembered as I started singing them. It especially cracks me up hearing Jon sing these songs because its such a blessing knowing that my husband was singing these songs at the same time I was. We sang I'm in the Lord's Army, The B-I-B-L-E, I've Got the Joy in My Heart, and Rise and Shine. We had a blast! And Devyn was so excited for us to finally know the words to the rest of the first song.

We then dropped Jon off at my parents' house to get his truck and headed on up to our place. Devyn and I sang the entire way, alternating between all the songs above. Just as we were turning onto our street, I heard a soft gasp from the backseat.

"Mom!" Devyn exclaimed.

"Yes, Paige?" I answered.

"I just heard God speak in my heart."

My heart skipped a beat, and I braced myself for what I knew was going to be a special moment. "What did He say, Dev?"

"He said my name!" The excitement rang true and clear in her voice.

"He did?!"

"And then He said, I love you Devyn," she continued.

As I gripped the steering wheel, I wondered at the sweetness and innocence of a child's faith, my child's faith. Devyn, who at four years of age, never questions if it is truly God's voice she just heard, she knows it. Devyn, who doesn't dream of getting married or growing up, instead just wants to sleep on clouds when she gets to Heaven. Devyn who prays every night that God would let her see Him. Devyn who is not afraid to sing Jesus Loves Me at the top of her voice in the checkout line at Super Walmart. I am humbled by this little girl.

My sweet, sweet Devyn. My prayer is that you will ALWAYS hear God speaking to you in your heart!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
10:31 PM delete

Oh so very sweet!

You're raising an amazing little girl.

Reply
avatar
6:43 AM delete

what a SWEET moment and a sweet girl! Thanks for sharing this.

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
7:01 AM delete

What a sweet glimpse into your beautiful little girl's heart!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:26 AM delete

I couldn't stop thinking about this story all morning, I love that little girl so much. God is going to do some amazing things in her life!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:28 AM delete

Those times are so precious. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your moment with us.

Reply
avatar
Longoria
AUTHOR
1:05 PM delete

That is so sweet Jenn! Got me all choked up. Don't you wish we could bottle this childlike faith to drink later in our lives? I miss you and it's only been three days!

Reply
avatar
2:26 PM delete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lif5fdC8C1w

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
6:28 PM delete

I could have taught you the lyrics. Cody sings that in nursery every week and comes home singing it. The foolish man built his house up on the sand....
What a sweetheart. The faith of a child always amazes me!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
10:21 PM delete

Wow....I too am just blown away. Oh such a joy is the innocence of a child.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:58 AM delete

I'm seriously crying. She continues to amaze me. I love her.

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
3:19 PM delete

Wow. That's awesome.

Reply
avatar
7:42 AM delete

That is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
1:55 PM delete

The tears in my eyes......to see faith in Christ passed on from generation to generation. Nothing more is my heart's desire than for my children and now, grandchildren to follow Christ and grow in their faith with Him.
I love you, honey.
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar