A Man and the Open Road

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4 Comments A+ a-

For anyone that knows my father, knows that he does not speed. No matter if we're running late, no speeding. If he's following someone on the highway, or having someone follow him, no speeding. In fact, on more than one occasion a son-in-law has been known to silently curse Dad because he is not even going the speed limit.

Last week Dad and I took turns following Uncle Grant and his family, as we drove through the night to Arizona. I was quite impressed with Dad as he kept up with Uncle Grant, even going out of his comfort zone by driving a good ten miles above the speed limit. We made great time and arrived much earlier than we'd originally planned. Go Dad!

On the return trip, it was just our van by ourselves; Uncle Grant and Aunt Debbie had planned on staying longer. Mom and I pleaded with Dad to go as fast as we did on the way out and despite his assurances to do so, I watched the speedometer never rise above 65mph. Grrrr! So Dad and I switched places and I had the cruise control set to 85mph.

We drove at that speed for a good two hours. Then we stopped for gas, and had to switch drivers because Reagan was being fussy. Again Mom and I pleaded for Dad to drive faster, I even offered to set the cruise control for him. He declined and we settled in for a long ride home.

That is, until I heard Dad say, "Oh crap!" and saw the revolving lights in the rearview mirror. Oh my word! A kind state patrol officer had clocked Dad at driving 90mph! 90?! My dad?! Are you sure?! Well, the officer was sure and ticketed Dad with a $374 fine.

While I do feel bad for Dad, we can't help but laugh because of all the people to receive a ticket, it had to be him! Rest assured, whenever he did drive, Dad did not drive above 70mph the rest of the way home. Its a good thing that I drove most of the way. I even passed a state patrol car going 80mph without being pulled over. Poor guy!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
1:44 PM delete

I hope he doesn't hold this against us and will plan another visit in the future...

Sorry about the ticket. This is not the state to speed in, apparently!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
2:20 PM delete

Aw I'm sorry he got the ticket. That's quite a big fine. Ouch. Poor guy the one time he speeds.

I'm glad to hear you all are home safe.

Blessings.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
3:08 PM delete

Poor dad =(

Reply
avatar
Kelly's Ideas
AUTHOR
7:26 PM delete

Funny story...it was a great visual. I just pictured my dad driving la de da down the rode.. thanks for making me laugh?

Reply
avatar