A Glimpse

Monday, March 23, 2009 7 Comments A+ a-

We decided to take a walk yesterday. We'd spent the morning gorging on cinnamon rolls, eggs, and bacon; we'd taken in a few NCAA games; and we'd lounged around to our heart's content. But the kids were getting restless and the blue sky beckoned.

With our fingers interlaced, we made our way up the same road we'd traveled eleven and a half years ago when we went up to the family cabin with our high school youth group to play flag football. The baby was snuggled in the sling, against my chest papoose-style, and Devyn and Hudson took turns running ahead to explore or waiting for Jon and I to hold hands with them. I turned to Jon and wondered aloud who would have thought that eleven years later we'd be a family of five. He smiled in response. It was both surreal and completely natural at the same time.

Devyn and I were holding hands, ahead of Jon and Hudson, when we'd decided on a little detour. We turned to head up the mountain, off the road, and we climbed. It wasn't a long climb, or even an arduous hike, just enough to get the blood pumping and to make us a little breathless as we made our way to the top. "A little further," Jon encouraged and soon we stepped into a clearing with the most magnificent view.

Jon led us to another small hill, which we climbed, careful of the small cactus on the ground, and from there we could see everything. We had the snowy mountain tops to our right, the green trees and rocks of the mountains below us, and to the right, a lake on the horizon. I wondered how anyone could doubt a God existed with this beauty before us. There were no signs of mankind at all, no roads, no houses, no cars, nothing. It was as though we were the only ones that existed.

It brought so many things into perspective for me. The world may be a scary place right now, we might not know what lies around the corner, its hard to hear how friends and family are losing jobs or homes, and its been questioned why you'd want to bring a child into such uncertain times. But up there, where no one else exists but God, my loved ones, and His amazing creation, I don't need to question it. Everything is because He said it was so, and He is perfectly able to care for anything we might need.

I closed my eyes, breathed in the fresh air, and memorized the moment. This is a moment that will sustain me for months to come. I reached over for Jon's hand and we locked eyes. No words were said, none were needed, for he knew what I was saying with the squeeze of my hand. We are blessed, more than we deserve.

We turned and headed back to the cabin, where Devyn and Hudson asked to eat lunch on the porch. Its amazing how small their requests and how little it takes to make them happy, but that's another post for another day.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
11:24 AM delete

You wrote it all so beautifully...

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
12:28 PM delete

You write so well!

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
4:20 PM delete

Aaaahhh, yes. I love your writing, Jenn. It felt like I was there with you. I agree with you. When I'm out in creation, I think about God's heart and magnitude...so awesome! Love you!

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
7:46 AM delete

i cannot even tell you how homesick this made me and how hopeful i am that someday i'll have bella in pigtails at a picnic table in the mountains. *sigh*

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
3:03 PM delete

*big smiles*

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
3:03 PM delete

*big smiles*

Reply
avatar
11:40 PM delete

What a beautiful glimpse into your heart and life. Thanks for sharing!

Reply
avatar