This and That

Sunday, January 25, 2009 9 Comments A+ a-

This blog has been quiet over the past few weeks; let me give you a quick glimpse into what I’ve been up to.

  • Battling the baby blues; this is completely different than my usual post-partum depression. Baby blues makes me feel weepy, overwhelmed, and anxious, but only lasts a couple of weeks. This is always hard but with the support and understanding of Jon, family, and friends, we survived.

  • Unless one of two things happen, Reagan is going to be our last child. Either God will have to "surprise" us again, or God will have to change our hearts. Both of these things would require a miracle and so I have been doing the following:
  • Memorizing the smell, sounds, and sights of these newborn weeks, such as milk-laden smiles, content sighs, grunting sounds, and her pliant little body as she seeks comfort from mine.
  • Caressing her newborn skin, her soft downy hair, chubby cheeks, and her long fingers.
  • I’ve nuzzled her neck, her ears, her knees, her feet, and each fold on her tiny body.
  • I’ve relished each evening as Hudson and Devyn have gone to bed. Not because I didn’t want to be with them, but because the hours between their bedtime and my own are dedicated to these times with Reagan.


  • We have made numerous visits to my mom in the rehab hospital, usually three or four times a week. Six days after she was admitted to the hospital, Mom was discharged to a rehab hospital for physical and occupational therapy. She spent three weeks there and I’m happy to report that she was discharged last Wednesday. She had made tremendous progress, her arms and hands are stronger and she’s even taking three to five steps by herself! She’s still using a walker and is receiving physical and occupational therapy at home. We are just so thrilled to have her home!

  • Upon watching Peter Pan for the first time and seeing Wendy in a blue nightgown, Devyn realized that she’d been missing out on something. So during my next trip to the superstore I surprised her with a nightgown of her very own. The best part about this gift is hearing Devyn tell everyone about her "Night-night dress."

  • We have all been trying to figure out the new dynamics of our new family of five and making the appropriate adjustments. Such as folding laundry with an almost-two-year-old sitting in my lap, or figuring out and enjoying one-on-one time with each child, or stealing moments for Jon and I, and don’t even get me started on the housework.

Basically life is going on right now, and as much as I miss this place and being able to give voice to my thoughts and emotions, I’m unable to find the time to sit at the computer. Thank goodness for my cell phone and access to Facebook, or I’d feel completely cut off from the world. Bear with me as I figure out how to carve out some "me" time to get back on here more often. I especially can’t wait to share pictures of the kids’ formal portrait shoot that’s taking place on Tuesday.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Dee
AUTHOR
6:56 PM delete

I am normally a lurker! But I cried reading this post and had to comment. I too am the mommy of three and our third is also our last - barring God working miracles. Do enjoy those things...I did too and I don't regret one moment of it! I don't care that dust piled up more than normal, or that we did more take out than normal! Hugs to you!

Also - I am a baby blues and PPD mommy and it stunk BAD the third time around. I will be praying for you my bloggy friend!!!

Take care of you - soak in the moments....your blog will be here when you feel free time sneaking back in! Hugs to you!!!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
6:59 AM delete

That's so sweet to savor all that you can. I know this time is crazy overwhelming but it will pass with time. I'll be praying!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
7:23 AM delete

You are doing a great job mommy!! You are taking car of those sweet babies of yours and that is what is important right now.

Can't wait to see your family pictures.

I giggles at Devyn's night night gown. That is really sweet.

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
7:31 AM delete

I never enjoy the first months of babyhood. But sounds like you are doing the right thing in savouring every moment.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
2:10 PM delete

It's a good thing to have too much life to live and too little time for blogging, amen! Sawyer is 5 months and I'm just now getting some of that me time back, very little, but I'll take it. And on the same token, I try to remember that there will be a time when I have too much me time and I'll be longing for my kids, when they're at school or when they're in that "too cool for mom" stage. Coffee??? I can bring Starbucks to you too:)!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Jamie
AUTHOR
8:21 PM delete

Hey Jen... just wanted to say hi and tell you i'm praying for you girl. it must be crazy trying to juggle 3. I'm sure you're doing a great job. Can't wait to see the new addition. love you girl!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
12:27 PM delete

*smiles* It's just lovely to hear from you again. Enjoy all this special time that you need to with this little one. All of us here in blog land will be here once you have a chance to join us again.

Blessings...

Reply
avatar
pedro
AUTHOR
8:09 AM delete

Hope you guys are doing well. We're pretty busy. We close on a house Friday and move on Saturday.

I love the blog's new winter theme!

Reply
avatar
4:34 PM delete

I just really really want to see more Reagan pics :)

Reply
avatar