Let's Do That Again!

Friday, December 26, 2008 9 Comments A+ a-

Ended up in Labor and Delivery last night. The circumstances involved weird bodily fluid leakage that needed to be checked out; it turned out to be nothing but then my body decided to start having contractions every 2-3 minutes for three hours straight. Man, those hurt! But after the lights were turned out and I was able to relax, the contractions stopped too. Whew! I am so NOT ready to have this baby yet... as evidenced by the fact that Jon was frantically throwing stuff into a bag last night on our way out the door.

Yes... the bag is getting packed TONIGHT and will remain in our car until the big moment arrives.

************

The biggest reason I'm not ready to have this child is that my mom is currently in the hospital and will remain there during the next 4-5 days to continue receiving treatments for Gillian-Barre.

About three weeks ago, Mom started losing sensations in her legs. The numbness and tingling turned into paralysis and pretty soon, my 50-year-old mother was bound to a wheelchair. Needless to say, we were more than concerned and quite anxious to get to the root of the problem. During this time, being the nurse that she is, Mom self-disagnosed herself with Gillian-Barre and while the nuerologist agreed at first, the prognosis then when to something called Cervical and Lumbar Plexitis.

It was, and still is, one of the most stressful situations we've faced. Especially as Courtney faced the idea that Mom might not make it to the wedding. However, we made it through the big day, Mom was able to enjoy herself, although not as fully as she would have if she weren't confined to a wheelchair and we were so thankful for her presence.

Then Christmas Eve arrived and with it, some new symptoms that concerned the nuerologist who demanded that she come to the hospital. Mom was admitted and a spinal tap was performed, taking 4 vials of spinal fluid. The test results from that fluid did indeed confirm Guillan-Barre and Mom is currently receiving infusions (not transfusions) of immunoglobins.

From what I understand of the disease (and I understand very little), a simple virus (a cold, flu, or even an innoculation) can get into the nervous system and start attacking your nerves, which is what caused Mom's paralysis. The new immunoglobins are being introduced to her system to start fighting off the bad stuff and the doctors are confident that she is already starting to regain some strength in her feet. Whoo hooo! After the infusions are complete, we may be looking at another 3-4 weeks in a rehab hospital or nursing home so Mom can have physical and occupational therapy to regain strength and muscle tone in her legs.

Quick Timeline:
Late November/Early December: Mom starts experiencing symptoms from Gillian-Barre and worsens with each passing week.
December 14th: Christine's water broke and is admitted to the hospital at 9.5 cm, is given an epidural to slow things down a little, she pushes for an hour, and ends up with an emergency c-section. But we have beautiful Elliana Faith to show for all that hard work.
December 20th: Rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
December 21st: Courtney and Jeremy's Wedding Day and all that entails.
December 24th: Mom is admitted to the hospital.
December 25th @ 10:00am: We receive an official prognosis of Gillian-Barre for Mom. Relief and optimism as we finally have an answer and a treatment plan. No more unknowns!
December 25th @ 10:00pm: I'm lying in a room on the Labor and Delivery floor, one floor below Mom, and breathing through contractions.
December 26th @ 3:00am: Jon and I climb into bed and pass out!

Whew! It's been an exciting (almost) two weeks. And we've decided that it couldn't hurt to ask the hospital if they'll offer us a family discount.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
5:53 PM delete

Wow girl! Your family has been through SO MUCH the last couple of months. Good thing you can trust in God!

Reply
avatar
LDraper
AUTHOR
10:00 PM delete

Oh my goodness...

Praying for all of it--- and for God's grace in it all.

Lindsey

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
10:19 PM delete

What a laundry list my dear! Isn't it amazing to think that God knew about all of this before it happened, and has plans to be glorified and draw you all closer to Him in the process! I got your text about the diagnosis, we'll be praying for rapid healing and recovery. And you my friend, I'm on pins and needles for this babies arrival!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:34 PM delete

Wow! My heart is so heavy for you, Jenn! Praying for you and all your family.... Love, Andrea & Mike

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
11:48 PM delete

I was wondering about you earlier today. It sounds like it won't be long before you're little one will be here. I'll be praying for you and you're mom too.

Blessings....

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
8:01 AM delete

Jenn - thanks for the timeline. I am so sorry for all you guys are going through.... even though so much of it is good - it is still stressful.
I am constantly praying for you!!!

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
12:53 PM delete

Jenn... wow, I will be praying for your mom and for you and baby trece. May you trust in Him during this stressful time.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
8:07 PM delete

Jenn~ I don't know what to sat other than you are in my prayers. You surely need some rest and I pray for your mothers quick recover.

Remember God's promise...God works for the GOOD for those who love the Lord. Trust and lean on Him during these times.

BTW~The wedding look beautiful. What a gorgeous dress. I love the red sash.

Reply
avatar
Melissa King
AUTHOR
10:14 PM delete

Honestly, I am so happy that I am not the only one who went to the hospital thinking my water had broken and it was some other wierd fluid! I can't wait for your baby to come. I am so excited.

Keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Reply
avatar