I'm feeling sentimental and gooey.

Friday, December 12, 2008 7 Comments A+ a-

There is no Elliana news to report. Christine and her doctor are having a discussion this afternoon about options but we are preparing ourselves for a wait.

I’m finding that preparations for the third child are more relaxed, both physically and emotionally, than the first two children. I’m four weeks out from my due date and I have yet to pack a bag for the hospital, or buy coming-home outfits, or wash and set-up the bouncer, bassinet, or baby swing. All of these things were done months before the due dates of both Hudson and Devyn. And unlike my other two pregnancies, I’m not counting down days until the due, or waiting impatiently.

I’m sure part of the reason is the time of year and all that we having going on right now; but I think a bigger part of it is that I feel like I know what to expect. There doesn’t seem to be this need to hurry up and wait. Instead, I find that I’m trying to relish the time I have left in the pregnancy, both with unborn child and these last few weeks with Devyn and Hudson as a twosome.

For anyone that knows me, or has been reading this blog for a while, know that I’m an emotional, sentimental, and feeling woman. Rarely do I approach things from a logical, list-making, black and white, perspective. My emotions lead in almost everything I do, in almost every decision I make, and this is both a good and bad thing. These next few weeks are sentimental ones for sure, for many reasons. But the one that’s foremost on my mind is that life as I know it right now, is about to change.

Hudson, my little man, my Bobo, my cuddler, my all-boy, full-speed, tiny bundle of energy, is currently the baby. This is the same boy that runs circles around our house for an hour, is up and down in the blink of an eye, is constantly taking anything resembling a bat and ball and hitting it, and yet at the first inclination of being tired or sleepy, crawls into my arms. It is simply divine. He is about to become the middle child, and has no idea how his world is about to change. I wonder how he’ll adjust to no longer being the baby; I wonder how he’ll adjust when Baby Trece is nursing or sleeping or cuddling with mom or dad; I wonder about his acceptance of a new person in the house.

I don’t have any doubts about Devyn. We’ve already transitioned to big sister and it’s a role that she flourishes in. In fact, there are times that I truly believe she’s a better mother than I am. She is quick to help Hudson with anything he needs; the first to kiss a scrape; and I can’t help but smile every time she runs up to say hi to Baby Trece, or to kiss my belly. She is quick to whisper sorry to Baby Trece if my belly is bumped and constantly mothers ME as I settle in for the night, sore from the extra weight on my bones and muscles. She tells me to lay down, to rest, and grabs a pillow and blanket to tuck me in. Yes, I have no doubts that Devyn will adjust seamlessly to the new one.

And Baby Trece, oh my sweet, sweet child. The one that is constantly moving within me, poking and prodding, turning and kicking, not to mention how often you try to insert your feet up under my ribs. I’m getting most anxious to meet you, to hold you, to kiss your tiny fingers and toes. I’m anxious to know if we’re adding another son or daughter to our lives. While I didn’t appreciate your daddy’s desire to wait to find out the gender at the time, I find that this has been one of the most enjoyable experiences of all three pregnancies. The not-knowing, the unknown, has been a sweet distraction and I constantly wonder what new dynamics you’ll bring to the family. You’ll be here before we know it and I’m so looking forward to that day!

My trio, my beautiful, wonderful trio of children. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t thank God for the wonderful blessings you are and the number of ways I’m becoming a better person because of you. My wish for all of you is that you will grow close and your relationships will become strong, for you are tied together in a way that no one will ever be able to replicate. I pray that you’ll be each other’s biggest fans, strongest defenders, and greatest encouragers; for this is probably the best gift your daddy and I will ever give you, the gift of siblinghood.

In the mean time, I’m slowing down, as if to stop time. This is more than likely the last time I will be pregnant and despite the aches and pains that accompany the last weeks, I want to cherish what it feels like to have life growing inside me. I want to focus on Devyn and Hudson and lavish as much attention as I can before their world is flipped. I want to soak in the sights and sounds of this season, especially as our extended family adds three more members to it in the form of two new babies and a new brother-in-law. This is most definitely a reflective, sentimental time for this mama.

And yes, I intend to pack that bag very, very soon.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Melody
AUTHOR
1:10 PM delete

I love reading these sentimental posts. They always bring such a smile to my face. As I continue to wait for our little one, it brings comfort to my mind that I will one day too be writing such entries.

Blessings...

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
2:22 PM delete

You made me smile. How very sweet. This a special time. A new marriage, new niece, new addition to the family, and the birth of Christ. I would say this a wonderful and VERY busy time. No wonder why the clothes aren't ready. But you know what....with or with out things ready....the baby and family will survive. So don't add any of that to your plate with stress. You are so right to just enjoy those little ones at this moment!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
3:32 PM delete

Hi - just curious, what is the significance of Baby "Trece"? Is it supposed to be like "tres" (spanish for "three")???

Reply
avatar
4:01 PM delete

Yes, Baby "Trece" is definitely a play on words. (Or in this case, a spanish word.) A friend came up with the idea and it stuck, especially because we don't know if its a boy or girl.

Side note: We called Devyn "Blevyn" for months before we found out it was a girl. It was a combination of the boy name (Blake) and girl name (Devyn) that we'd picked out that time.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
4:23 PM delete

Ok, I am way too emotional and nostalgic to read any more of these posts. Thanks for making me cry for the second time today Jenn...

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
5:15 PM delete

I guess that is a great thing about the third. Calmness, but also knowing what to cherish. I was much calmer about giving birth to my second. But I don't think I enjoyed life with just one enough. Maybe it's that hind sight is 20/20, but that is the nice about 3. You learn each time. Good Luck to you and reading everyday for updates.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
Aspiemom
AUTHOR
8:08 PM delete

I enjoyed reading this and look forward to hearing more about baby Trece!

Reply
avatar