Courtney Nicole

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3 Comments A+ a-

It was Christmas of 1985 and all the presents under the tree had been unwrapped, except for one. It was the last gift of the morning and we all held our breath as we waited to see who it was for. The box, very light in weight, was handed to Dad and he opened the present to find a poem typed on a piece of paper. And in that poem, that fateful Christmas morning, Dad, Christine, Allison, and I learned of Mom’s pregnancy with daughter #4, Courtney Nicole.

I was six years old for that announcement and I remember a lot of that pregnancy pretty vividly. During one OB appointment, I scalded myself with boiling water in the waiting room and suffered 2nd degree burns. I remember Mom running out of her exam room to hold me while the nurses tended to my burns. I remember the night that Dad gently shook me awake in my top bunk to inform me that Mom’s water had broken and it was time to go to the hospital. I remember the phone call the following morning to find out that it was another girl. I remember the baby going unnamed for three days as we tried out various different ones to see which fit best, only to settle on the name Courtney. I remember Courtney coming home in a light pink outfit, with pink rosebuds all over it. And our little team, our claim to fame as the four sisters, was complete.

Now that baby girl is all grown up, degree in hand, a new job in a new city, and getting ready to marry her high school sweetheart in just five days. I know there will be numerous tissues in hand as I watch them exchange their vows, no doubt remembering the journey of bringing her home to toddler to tomboy to all-knowing teenager to the amazing woman she has become. All while resting peacefully in the knowledge that she has picked a wonderful man who will encourage her and support her in the years ahead. And if anyone can tell Courtney when she’s wrong, Jeremy can. She and I both need that good kick in the rear from time to time, and only Jeremy and Jon seem to be the ones who can get through to us.

I love you Baby Sister, and I’m so looking forward to your special day!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
11:07 AM delete

What an amazing season for your family! Congrats to Courtney!

Reply
avatar
Gillian
AUTHOR
12:13 PM delete

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful sister!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
1:48 PM delete

How precious...blessing to you all.

Reply
avatar