With Thanks - Every Day

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12 Comments A+ a-

by: alison mcghee

One day I counted your fingers and kissed each one.

One day the first snowflakes fell, and I held you up and watched them melt on your baby skin.

One day we crossed the street, and you held my hand tight.

Then you were my baby, and now you are my child.

Sometimes, when you sleep, I watch you dream. And I dream too...

That someday you will dive into the cool, clear water of a lake.

Someday you will walk into a deep wood.

Someday your eyes will be filled with a joy so deep that they shine.

Someday you will run so fast and so far your heart will feel like fire.

Someday you will swing high - so high, higher than you ever dared to swing.

Someday you will hear something so sad that you will fold up with sorrow.

Someday you will call a song to the wind, and the wind will carry your song away.

Someday I will stand on this porch and watch your arms waving to me until I can no longer see you.

Someday you will look at this houses and wonder how something that feels so big can look so small.

Someday you will feel a small weight against your strong back.

Someday I will watch you brushing your child's hair.

Someday, a long time from now, your own hair will glow silver in the sun.

And when that day comes, love, you will remember me.

Happy Birthday, My Devyn Paige. You have no idea how many ways, how deeply you have touched my life. Every day that I get to mother you on this earth is a blessing and I consider myself so lucky to have you as a daughter. I thank God for you every day. May this next year be another year of blossoming for you. All my love, Mommy

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:31 PM delete

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEVYN!!!
Love, Andrea & Mike
PS: Hope to see you soon!

Reply
avatar
LDraper
AUTHOR
12:25 AM delete

Tears in my eyes...

Happy Birthday Sweet Devyn!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
4:46 AM delete

Jenn-
This brought tears to my eyes too. Where have the last FOUR years gone already??!!! One of the biggest lessons in life is to take each day, each moment, as a gift. Raising the babies goes SOOOO FAST!!! What a gift from God Devyn is for all of us. How we all love her!! Happy 4th Birthday, Devyn!!
We love you,
Nana and Papa

Reply
avatar
Deets
AUTHOR
5:15 AM delete

Beautiful pictures. Beautiful girl.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
6:27 AM delete

Too sweet! Hope she had a wonderful birthday!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
7:32 AM delete

you have me in tears this morning..that was so sweet.

i have loved watching her grow. you are such a sweet mommy. thanks for always sharing your heart here - the good and bad and being real.

Reply
avatar
8:06 AM delete

Crying... AT WORK! Thanks... Happy Birthday Miss Devyn! God bless!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
12:42 PM delete

Oh Jenn, this post me so nostalgic. I can't believe how much she has changed and how big she is!
Give her hugs and kisses from me since I can't do it myself. =(
Beautiful post!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
1:53 PM delete

That is so incredible sweet. I love to see how she has changed and grown. Happy Birthday to Devyn.

It sounds like great weather out there. That is one trip I want to make someday.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
7:31 PM delete

Ok, thanks for making me cry! I seriously had tears rolling down my face. How can she be 4 already?
Happy Birthday Devyn! We all love you so much!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
10:21 PM delete

Aww this was truly beautiful. Happy Birthday to such a wonderful little girl !

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
12:23 PM delete

this... was awesome. my mom read that book at my baby shower! (well she was supposed to read it, but started crying so someone else had to finish, haha!) Happy Birthday to your baby girl and congratulations to you and Jon, you've raised one beautiful child!

Reply
avatar