This Monday Morning

Monday, November 03, 2008 3 Comments A+ a-

“Ney is not here this morning,” said my little girl as we pulled into my parents’ driveway. (Ney is short for Courtney, a pet-name given to her by Devyn and has stuck around ever since.)

I looked in the rear-view mirror and wondered how she was going to take my news. “Munchkin,” I began kindly, “Ney doesn’t live here anymore.”

Her lip started quivering and I saw tears begin to well-up in her eyes. “Why?” she asked in a shaky voice.

“Because she lives in her apartment now. Remember? We said good-bye yesterday.” And with that, I watched as Devyn started crying. Her heart, and mine, broke a little on this Monday morning.


On Friday, when I dropped the kids off at my parents’ house and saw Courtney’s car parked out front, I thought to myself, “This is the last time she’ll be here in the mornings.” Then I watched as Devyn bounded up the stairs to cuddle on the couch with Courtney, watching TV together and rummaging through Courtney’s make-up bag. I felt myself get a little teary as I realized how much Devyn was going to miss this daily interaction with Court.

Throughout the rest of the day on Friday, Courtney and I exchanged emails. We commiserated that this would be the last time we could do “Instant Messaging” with each other at work. She told me that it was harder than she thought it was going to be to say good-bye to coworkers; that maybe she wasn’t ready for this next step of “grown-up” after all. After work, she called sobbing, she’d just said her good-byes and they’d gifted her with a gift certificate to Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

This weekend, Courtney packed up the bedroom in our parents’ house and moved her belongings 40 minutes away. She gave a tearful hug to Allison; Devyn and I said our good-byes at lunch; and she drove away. She has moved into the apartment that she’ll soon share with Jeremy; their first home as husband and wife; her first home away from us.

Now don’t get me wrong; I realize its only 40 minutes away. And I realize how lucky (or sheltered, depending on how you look at it) we’ve been to have all four sisters as a part of each other’s daily lives all these years. But for us, for me, it’s the end of an era. The impromptu calls asking each other if we want to meet for lunch, the daily interaction my children had with their Aunt Ney, the ability to meet at a moment’s notice, its come to an end. I have no doubt that we’ll still see each other all the time and I know it’s a step in the right direction for Courtney, for the sisters, for all of us. But the daily life of four sisters will be missed…

And, my baby sister, I am so proud of you! I am excited for this new job, I am excited for the upcoming changes in your life, I am excited for the addition of a new brother-in-law, and I know this will be such an incredible time of growth for you. (And for me too, truth be told.) Just know that we’re all just a call away and we’ll always be here should you need us.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
5:14 PM delete

Don't make me cry again Jennifer Lynn

Reply
avatar
Aspiemom
AUTHOR
9:52 AM delete

Okay, you are making me sad! I know how close you are, from reading your blogs, and it's sad that things won't be the same. I'm glad she won't be TOO far, tho. My parents are 40 min. away and I know sometimes it feels like 4 hours away, but it's wonderful that they are that close!

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
2:18 PM delete

This post brought tears to my eyes.

Love you all.

Reply
avatar