Surprise #5

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 6 Comments A+ a-

Is anyone else keeping track of the number of surprises that are accompanying this pregnancy?

Surprise #1: Two lines, we’re pregnant!
Surprise #2: Work situation: full-time or voluntary demotion to stay part-time.
Surprise #3: Boy or Girl? Who knows!
Surprise #4: Placenta previa, c-section time.

Are you ready for Surprise #5? Are you sure?

We had a regular OB appointment this past Monday, including my glucose test. (I’m happy to report that I tested negative for gestational diabetes, whoo hoo!) I am now 26 weeks pregnant, I’ve gained six pounds in four weeks, I’m measuring right on schedule, and the heartrate was in the 140’s. (Any gender guesses yet?)

Then my doctor, my beloved Dr. Susie whom I’ve seen since before I married Jon, has delivered both of my other babies, and seen me through two post-partum depression episodes, dropped a bomb on us. She is going to be out of the country from December 29th through the third week of January; my due date falls right in the middle of this trip.

Well, hmmmm.

I know she would have told me sooner but the approval just came through. I am disappointed, I won’t lie, but I also know that I can’t expect her life to revolve around me. (As much as I love to think it does.) I think Jon is even more disappointed than I am; my birthing experiences have been so special because Dr. Susie never made me feel like a patient. She was always so great about thanking us for allowing her to be part of our special days. She truly is the greatest.

So where does that leave us? I could see another OB in the office and I like her just fine but she can’t perform c-sections. Granted we don’t know for sure if the placenta previa is still there, I’d hate to get attached to another doctor only to have to switch doctors again if I do need a c-section. So, I have a “hello, nice to meet you” appointment set up at another office tomorrow; every OB in this office can perform both vaginal and c-section births.

I know that no one will be able to replace Dr. Susie and I’m still very bummed that she won’t be there for the birth of this third child BUT I’m also confident that everything will be ok and once again, I think God is handing me another situation to give Him control over my life. I’m getting the distinct impression that God is trying to get my attention, as if He’s asking me to give Him control over every area of my life. Really, God?! Every aspect of my life?! Can’t I just make this little plan over here? No? Ok, well, how about… Oh, no to that too, huh? And you’re sure you don’t need any help? Ok then, I’ll just sit over here until you’re done.

Ask me how I’m doing with this scenario in another week and I’ll let you know if I’ve managed to keep my fingers (or controlling tendencies) out of God’s way. Here’s hoping.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
1:58 PM delete

All of the suprises will be well worth it when you're holding that little one. But you already know that!

Reply
avatar
Tamara
AUTHOR
6:27 PM delete

Bummer! Hey, I know we've just met, but if you'd like to have a doula for this birth--please don't hesitate to ask me. I would love to be your doula (FREE, of course).

Reply
avatar
Vintage Mommy
AUTHOR
9:12 PM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
Vintage Mommy
AUTHOR
9:13 PM delete

I found you through Amy's blog. I just wanted to tell you that my OB left the country (on vacation--nothing illegal) the day I went into labor with my first child. I was devastated and very frightened, but I had the MOST AMAZING Doctor take over for him, and I mean, AMAZING! Only the Lord can do something like that!

Reply
avatar
6:50 PM delete

Hey honey bunches! You have got to be the cutest pregnant gal ever! I know you hear that all the time but seriously you are too cute! Love ya girl!

Reply
avatar
CPT Mom
AUTHOR
9:29 PM delete

yay for more pregnant pictures!

And for the surprises...you seem to be getting a mighty big share.

Reply
avatar