Our Orange and Blue Adventure

Monday, October 06, 2008 11 Comments A+ a-

It was a Father-Daughter Bronco game that neither of us will soon forget.

About an hour and a half before we were to leave for church yesterday, I got a call from Dad saying that he didn’t have tickets but was planning to drive down to Denver for the Broncos-Buccaneers game and try to buy some tickets off the street. Would I be interested in going with him? After a quick consult with Jon, I responded with a resounding yes and we found ourselves driving down to Denver after church for a Sunday afternoon game.

As we drove along Federal Boulevard (those that are familiar with Denver, know this street well), I was amazed at the number of sellers using tickets as a way to lure drivers off to the side streets for some price wrangling. (Every game I’ve gone to in the past, we always had tickets. I’ve never seen the likes of this before.) I watched as Dad pulled into the Walgreen’s parking lot and the seller came over to haggle with Dad over the price.

And this… the beginning to our memorable day… made Dad want to stuff a sock in my face, I’m sure. I’m listening to the two of them negotiate back and forth, when I opened my mouth and inserted my foot. “Dad,” I began, as I laid my hand on his shoulder, “He’s only asking for $5 more; what’s $5?” And with a look from Dad, one that told me to shut-up, he was forced to up his price another $5 because his eldest daughter opened her mouth. Oops! I guess that’ll teach Dad to bring me along to any bargaining table.

We parked the truck a good mile and a half away, and trekked toward the stadium. Dad offered to drop me off closer to the game but I decided to tough it out, after all, I’m not THAT pregnant. By the end of the first mile, I was sorely regretting that decision and we agreed that when the game was over, he’d get the car and come back to pick me up.

The game itself was great! A boring first half and an exciting second half with turnovers, fumbles, interceptions, etc. and I’m happy to report that our Broncos are now 4-1. Yes! Great game, good conversation (much of it involving politics), and now it was time to return home.

This is where the story gets really good!

Dad ran out of the stadium ahead of me, as he had a good walk back to the truck before coming back to get me. Plus with my legs feeling like rubber from the walk to the stadium, I knew it was going to take me a while to get to our meeting place. We had agreed on a certain meeting point, just outside of the stadium parking lot. Yet the closer I got to our agreed spot, the more I realized that there was no way Dad was going to be able to drive in and get me. All the lanes were now considered “out” lanes; even the usual “in” lanes had cars leaving the stadium.

So I thought I’d help us both out and meet him at the nearest intersection at Federal, hoping to head him off from even attempting to drive in. I got to the intersection and waited for 15 minutes. I kept getting wary looks from the police officer manning the intersection; I’m sure he wondered why the pregnant woman was refusing to cross the street even though she’d been given several opportunities. I shrugged my shoulders, decided to cross the street, and head up Federal Boulevard.

Traffic was stop and go at this point; I figured that surely I’d see Dad driving down Federal and then I could just hop in the truck once I found him. It seemed like a logical decision to me; I thought I was doing us both a favor and saving us time. But the further I walked, the more I realized that I had made a really bad decision. This wasn’t exactly the greatest neighborhood, it was approaching dusk, and here I was, six months pregnant, walking along Federal Boulevard by myself. Then as the traffic thinned out and it was no longer stop-and-go, I realized that Dad had not driven down Federal after all.

I pulled out the cell phone, called Jon, explained my predicament, received a lecture for leaving our original meeting spot in the first place, expressed my frustration at Dad for not having his own cell phone, and decided on a plan of action. I found a respectable, really nice Mexican restaurant with a patio and waited. I knew eventually that Dad would find a phone and call me; in the mean time I was going to enjoy some chips, salsa, shredded beef tacos, and a little “me” time.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to me, Dad was frantically searching for me and had no idea where I was. He had parked the truck, was going back and forth from the stadium to our agreed meeting spot, and had various scenarios running through his head. Did I go into labor? Was I at a hospital? Had I passed out in the stadium and no one knew where I was? Had I decided that life was too overwhelming and now would be a good time to run away? (Seriously, Dad? Would I ever run away?) Just as he’d reached the height of his anxiety, a guy walked out of the Broncos administration office and Dad asked if he could borrow his cell phone.

With the guy in a suit and tie standing there, Dad called Mom and said the words every parent dreads hearing, “I’ve lost our daughter.” Now, unknown to Dad, I’d already called Mom and told her the story, so she already knew where I was, that I was safe, and was waiting for Dad. But Mom being the woman that she is, decided to milk it for all it was worth and demanded to know how Dad could have lost their pregnant daughter. Poor Dad! Mom finally relented and told Dad where I was and gave him my cell number. Once directions were given and instructions were made clear (“Do NOT move, Jenn!”), Dad handed the phone back to the man.

The man smiled in agreement with Dad and told him that he had an eight-year-old daughter at home who did this all the time too. “Yes,” my dad said, “but my daughter is 29 years old and should have known better.”

We eventually met up again, a good hour and a half after the game had ended. My poor father! I know that I gave him a few more white hairs and quite a scare! Even a good hour outside of Denver, on our way home, Dad was complaining of the adrenaline rush I’d given him. What can I say?! I thought it was a good plan in theory; it turns out I was wrong and should have stayed put.

And this is why Dad has vowed to never take a pregnant daughter to a ball game again…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
2:41 PM delete

Oh my goodness... I am seriously laughing out loud at work!! I am so glad everything turned out okay! I think it's really funny you decided to eat while he was having a panic attack! Hey... I probably would have done the same thing!

Reply
avatar
3:38 PM delete

Lol. That is a great story! I'm glad everything worked out in the end. Your poor dad. :) I have to say too that my favorite part of this story was you deciding to have some "me time" in the midst of it. That is so funy! :)

Reply
avatar
stefanie
AUTHOR
4:20 PM delete

Jenn, I can so see the twinkling in your mom's eyes as your dad was getting more panicky. Your poor dad!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
4:27 PM delete

oh my goodness. Now all can laugh that it is over and your safe and well. I can REALLY relate. I make decisions thinking it was really best for all and it may have not been.

Glad enjoyed your game with your dad.
That is what is most important.

Broncos is my husband's favorite team.

Reply
avatar
Kamma
AUTHOR
5:08 PM delete

Ah, sounds like my Jennifer ;)

Reply
avatar
7:20 PM delete

I thought for sure the ending of the story would be that your dad would finally agree to the merits of having a cell phone - no, wait a minute, we're talking about Jim Sanchez! :-)

Reply
avatar
Amazing Racer
AUTHOR
10:06 AM delete

That's awesome! And I can't believe you are already 6 months pregnant!!!!!

Reply
avatar
Jenna
AUTHOR
3:32 PM delete

Oh how I would LOVE to go to a Broncos game! And I'd have to say, sounds like something I'd do hehe!

Reply
avatar
Aspiemom
AUTHOR
8:08 AM delete

That's a great story, Jenn! I love it! Your poor dad, tho! It made the day even more memorable and I'm glad you had the special father-daughter time.

That's a great picture of you two in the stadium!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
8:28 AM delete

Dad will never forget the game and the time looking for you!! He REALLY was panicking!! Whatever hair he had is now going to be gone from that day!!! Daughter, I hope you learned your lesson on staying where you should stay!! =) I don't think you will EVER live this one down! (Neither will Dad!!)
love you, Mom

Reply
avatar
Heidi
AUTHOR
10:57 PM delete

That is so funny. I just happened upon your blog while I was blog hopping and now I am trying not to laugh so loudly that I wake everyone else up. Glad it all worked out in the end.

Reply
avatar